London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid jab safe, insists Hancock

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid jab safe, insists Hancock

The Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe, the health secretary has said, after some European nations paused its use amid concern over blood clots.

Matt Hancock urged people to "listen to the regulators" and to "get the jab" as soon as they got the opportunity.

Some 13 countries have suspended use of the vaccine while they seek further clarification on its safety.

But the UK's medicines watchdog, the MHRA, has said that evidence "does not suggest" the jab causes clots.

The EU's regulator, the European Medicines Agency (EMA), is expected to release the findings of its investigation into cases of blood clots in vaccinated people on Thursday.

However, it said previously that it was still "firmly convinced" the benefits of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine outweighed the risks and there was "no indication" the jab causes blood clots.

About 17 million people across the EU and the UK have received a dose of the vaccine, with fewer than 40 cases of blood clots reported as of last week, the manufacturer AstraZeneca said.

It said the number of cases of blood clots reported was lower than the hundreds of cases that would be expected among the general population.

In a bid to reassure the British public, Mr Hancock stressed that the MHRA, the World Health Organization and the European Medicines Agency all believed the vaccine was safe.

"We keep the effects of these vaccines under review all the time and we know that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is saving lives in the UK right now so if you get the call, get the jab," he said.

Asked if there had been evidence of people declining the jab after the European suspensions, the health secretary said there were still "huge numbers of people vaccinated every day" and that "enthusiasm for getting the vaccine is incredibly strong".


Downing Street has also defended the safety of the vaccine, with the PM's official spokesman insisting that Boris Johnson would be happy to take it when it came to his turn.

Meanwhile, the Duchess of Cornwall revealed on Tuesday that she had received the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab earlier this year.

Speaking during a visit to a pop-up vaccination centre in London with the Prince of Wales, Camilla joked that it "didn't matter" which jab she was given because "I hate injections so much".

The Duchess of Cornwall revealed she received the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab during a visit to a vaccination centre on Tuesday
It was announced in mid-February that Prince Charles, 72, and the duchess, 73, had received their first Covid jabs. Their ages meant they were included in the fourth priority group for the rollout of the vaccine.

The latest government figures show that 24,839,906 first doses of a Covid vaccine have now been given in the UK, with some 1,663,646 people receiving a second dose.

Countries across Europe are seeking further clarity on the jab's safety, amid criticism of their decision to suspend its use.

Denmark was first to pause its use of the vaccine, followed by Norway and Iceland. Germany, France, Italy, Cyprus, Spain, Latvia and Sweden are the latest to follow suit.

Germany, France and Italy have said they are awaiting the outcome of the EMA investigation.

They said they had opted to pause their use of the drug as a "precautionary measure".

Other countries, including Austria, have halted the use of certain batches of the jab, while Belgium, Poland, the Czech Republic and Ukraine said they would continue to administer it.

Dr Phil Bryan, vaccines safety lead at the MHRA, said that people "should still go and get their Covid-19 vaccine when asked to do so".

"We are closely reviewing reports but given the large number of doses administered, and the frequency at which blood clots can occur naturally, the evidence available does not suggest the vaccine is the cause."

The WHO, which is also investigating the reports, says there is no evidence that the clots were linked to the vaccine and it has urged countries not to pause their vaccination programmes.

Prof Jeremy Brown, a member of the UK government's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, said concerns about blood clots were "overblown" as they were unlikely to be linked to the jab.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme pausing its use would cause more illness and deaths than would be prevented "by the unlikely situation that there's an increased risk of a very rare event occurring as a consequence of the vaccine".

Sir Kent Woods, former chief executive of the MHRA and former chair of the EMA, told BBC Breakfast there would have been a "denting of public confidence because of the disorderly situation in Europe" and by suspending the use of the jab countries were "increasing the risk to the population".

Dr Jess Harvey, a GP in Shropshire, said she had received several calls from patients concerned about the possibility of blood clots linked to the vaccine.

She said she had not had any appointments cancelled yet but was worried about no-shows.

Meanwhile, Public Health England said on Tuesday that it was investigating a new coronavirus variant previously reported by the Philippines, after two cases were identified in England.

It said one case was linked with international travel, while the other was still under investigation.

PHE also said that two cases of the P.1 variant of concern first found in Brazil had been identified in England - with one in the West Midlands and another in Haringey, London.

This variant has a mutation - known as E484 - that means it can escape some of the immune response, which may mean vaccines work less effectively against it.

Both cases were linked with international travel to Brazil, PHE said, and bring the total number of UK cases of the variant to 12.


Health Secretary Matt Hancock: "If you get the call, get the jab"


Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×