London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

'Everything will be OK – just stop touching your face'

'Everything will be OK – just stop touching your face'

When the COVID-19 started to spread in China, authorities reacted with historically unprecedented quarantines of cities.
Now, that it is spreading through the United States, US President Donald Trump is telling people not to touch their face.

"I haven't touched my face in weeks," Trump said in a meeting with airline executives this week. "Been weeks. I miss it."

This casual attitude is contagious. I told my father back home, who is right at the age to be in a high-risk group, to take the threat seriously. He replied, "Something has got to do me in."

There is no point in being frightened and anxious, and the casual attitude conveyed by Trump and his team could be interpreted as an attempt to prevent panic buying and runs on medical supplies. This would be responsible.

Or it could be Trump ignoring advice from his own advisers to suit the narrative he hopes for in his own head to ensure his reelection. That would be less responsible.

Last week, after his top officials told the public the spread of the virus was inevitable, Trump went on television and said, sharing the same stage the officials, it was "not inevitable."

This is minutes after Trump had been told about a case of community spread in California, and decided not to mention it.

On the stage with Trump was Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. During the media conference, Fauci had to clarify that when the president said a vaccine would be ready "relatively soon," that meant at least a year from now.

Trump surprised virus task force leader Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar by telling him just before the media conference that Vice President Mike Pence would now be leading the government's response to the outbreak.

At the end of the conference, Azar walked to the podium to clarify that he was still leading the COVID-19 task force – as Trump and Pence walked out of the room.

Two days later, Pence announced that Ambassador Debbie Birx would be the White House coronavirus response coordinator, joining the task force led by Azar and reporting to Pence.

People are still scratching their heads to figure who is actually in charge, but at least it will be easier to avoid blame if the coronavirus turns out to be worse than the flu.

After the media conference, Fauci cancelled a series of appearances on Sunday talk shows.

Fauci denied being muzzled. Rather, he insisted, Pence's office wanted him to run interviews past it for re-clearance. Having worked in Washington for 35 years, Fauci knows how to play the game.

Obliquely addressing Trump's minimization of the danger from the virus, Fauci told Politico, "I think that this is going to be one of those things we look back on and say, 'Boy, that was bad.'"

Trump's insistence that COVID-19 is like the flu, but with less deaths, seems to have sapped the urgency of the government response.

For weeks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had rules in place limiting testing of anyone who had not been in direct contact with a known infected person, or been to a high risk area.

In addition, the government insisted people must use CDC tests only. However, the test was not widely available, and the CDC's own capacity was limited.

Predictably, the virus invisibly spread throughout the US during this time.

Pence pledged on Wednesday that there would be 2,500 testing kits out before the end of this week, which represents about 1.5 million tests.

Pence's pledge itself was a walkback from a government statement that one million Americans would be tested for the virus by the end of the week.

By Thursday, the government was saying the tests will be in the mail by the end of the week – scratch that – the government was "getting them out to the mail," in the words of Republican Senator James Lankford of Oklahoma.

Pence also promised Wednesday that lab tests for COVID-19 would be covered by private and government health insurance.

Pence said at a White House briefing that The Health and Human Services Department "has designated the coronavirus test as an essential health benefit. That means by definition, it's covered in the private health insurance of every American as well as covered by Medicare and Medicaid."

However, experts were stumped, unable to point to which law gave the government power to order private companies to provide "essential health benefits."

Experts also pointed out that there are 28 million Americans without any private or government insurance coverage at all.

The Associated Press tactfully reported that Pence's "promise appears to be less than airtight."

This week, a tweet spread widely throughout the country claiming that a man had gone to get tested for the virus and was billed 3,000 U.S. dollars. Fact checkers found the tweet was false.

However, the Miami Herald reported a case in which Osmel Martinez Azcue went to Jackson Memorial Hospital, and told doctors he was concerned he had the coronavirus. He was showing symptoms after he returned from a high-risk area. He had a flu test, tested positive, and did not get the coronavirus test.

The hospital billed 3,270 US dollars for the visit, but said Azcue would only be responsible for 1,400 US dollars of it. However, the Herald reported that Azcue's insurer demanded three years of medical records to prove the flu was not related to a preexisting condition, or he would have to pay all of it.

Perhaps Azcue could have avoided this if he had stopped touching his face.

Footage of government officials warning people not to touch their faces, and then touching their faces is going viral on the web. These officials include Birx, Pence, and – despite his claim of not having done so for weeks – Donald Trump.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
UK Competition Watchdog Flags Concerns Over Proposed Getty Images–Shutterstock Merger
Trump Reasserts Opposition to UK Chagos Islands Proposal, Urges Stronger Strategic Alignment
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis advocates for a ban on minors using social media.
Liberal Senator Michaelia Cash Accuses Prime Minister of Lying to Australians
Meanwhile in Time Square, NYC One of the most famous landmarks
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
A Lunar New Year event in Taiwan briefly came to a halt after a temple official standing beside President Lai Ching‑te suddenly vomited, splashing Lai’s clothing
Jillian Michaels reveals Bill Gates’ $55 million investment in mRNA vaccines turned into over $1 billion.
Ex-Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrested
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Four Chagos Islanders Establish Permanent Settlement on Atoll
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
UK Inflation Slows Sharply in January, Strengthening Case for Bank of England Rate Cut
Hide the truth, fake the facts, pretend the opposite, Britain is as usual
France President Macron says Free Speech is Bull Sh!t
Viktor Orbán getting massive praise for keeping Hungary safe, rich and migrant-free!
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
×