London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Iran protest death toll may exceed 1,000, US says as it applies new pressure on Tehran

Trump slams ‘brutal’ crackdown, vowing to respond strongly to any threat from Iran to US interests. Number of casualties difficult to verify, as authorities have severely curtailed internet access

The United States said Thursday that Iranian authorities may have killed more than 1,000 people in a crackdown on demonstrations, which Washington cast as the clerical regime’s worst-ever internal challenge.

The damning account came as the US put new pressure on Iran by not ruling out sending more forces to the region.
“It appears the regime could have murdered over 1,000 Iranian citizens since the protests began,” Brian Hook, the US point man on Iran, told reporters.

He acknowledged that information was difficult to verify in Iran, which has severely curtailed the internet, but said: “We know for certain it is many, many hundreds.”



Hook said that “many thousands” of Iranians have been wounded and that at least 7,000 protesters have been detained.

US President Donald Trump, receiving UN diplomats at the White House, called the crackdown “brutal” and a “horrible situation” as he vowed to respond “strongly” to any threat from Iran to US interests.

Protests broke out on November 15 in Iran, whose economy has suffered under sweeping sanctions by the United States, after the government abruptly hiked fuel prices.

Hook said that the ensuing crackdown showed the regime has had to rely on brute force and was losing support even with its traditional working-class base.

“This is the worst political crisis the regime has faced in its 40 years,” Hook said.

The death toll is sharply higher than the figure of 208 dead given by Amnesty International, which said it was cautious because of the difficulties in verifying information.

Iran has dismissed the high death counts as “utter lies” and confirmed only five dead – four security force personnel killed by “rioters” and one civilian.

But in a softening of stance that indicates a need to address grievances, Iran’s leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said that people killed in the violence would be considered “martyrs” as long as they did not foment the unrest.

Hook said the US was basing its count in part on photos and videos sent by 32,000 people after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo invited Iranians to defy internet restrictions.

Hook said that videos sent from Mahshahr, a southwestern city home to many from Iran’s Arab minority, showed the elite Revolutionary Guards chasing protesters into marshlands with machine guns mounted on trucks.

“They then spray the protesters with bullets. Between the rounds of machine gun fire, the screams of the victims can be heard,” Hook said, charging that as many as 100 people were killed there alone.

Hook demanded the release of prisoners and further diplomatic isolation of Iran, while a senior Pentagon official did not rule out sending more forces to the region to counter Iran’s role.

“We’re continuing to look at that threat picture and have the ability to dynamically adjust our force posture,” John Rood, the Pentagon’s policy chief, told a Senate hearing.

But Rood denied a report by The Wall Street Journal that Trump was considering sending another 14,000 troops to the region – equal to the number already deployed over the past six months as tensions with Iran have risen.

Trump, who has close ties with Saudi Arabia and Israel, has tried to block all Iranian oil exports after withdrawing the US last year from an Iranian denuclearisation deal, vowing to reduce Iran’s influence in the Middle East.

Hook said that a US warship on November 25 seized a major shipment of Iranian-made weapons bound for Yemen’s Houthi rebels – including anti-tank and air-defence missiles.

In a joint letter to the United Nations, the governments of Britain, France and Germany, which still back the nuclear deal, also accused Iran of developing nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called the allegation a “desperate falsehood” and accused the Europeans of “bowing to US bullying.”

Hook voiced pride that the protesters had targeted Iran’s “corrupt religious mafia” and not the United States and its sanctions.
Nobel laureate Shirin Ebadi, an Iranian human rights lawyer, in an interview with the France 24 news agency, backed Western efforts to weaken the regime but criticised economic sanctions that hurt ordinary Iranians.

Iranians across ideological lines have also widely criticised Trump for imposing a ban on most Iranians from travelling to the United States.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×