London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Hong Kong police chief tangles with opposition councillors for second time in week over force’s handling of protests

Pro-democracy councillors in Tsuen Wan challenged Commissioner of Police Chris Tang over his training and the alleged excessive use of force by officers. Last week, Tang told district councillors in Central that it was the ‘rioters’ who should be apologising to society, not police

Hong Kong’s police chief has crossed swords with district councillors from the opposition camp over the force’s handling of the ongoing anti-government protests for the second time in a week, the latest as he attended a meeting in Tsuen Wan on Wednesday afternoon.

Pro-democracy councillors challenged Commissioner of Police Chris Tang Ping-keung over his training and the alleged excessive use of force by his officers handling the social unrest during the 2½-hour meeting, which was frequently interrupted by his supporters in the public gallery.

Last week, Tang was asked at a Central and Western District Council meeting if he would apologise to the public for alleged police violence. But Tang hit back and said it was the “rioters” who should be apologising to society.

On Wednesday, Lester Shum, newly elected to Tsuen Wan District Council in citywide polls in November, highlighted Tang’s attendance at mainland Chinese institutions, including the China Executive Leadership Academy in Shanghai and the Chinese People’s Public Security University in Beijing.

“For the majority of the time you were trained under Chinese law … and completely accepted Beijing’s way of dealing with Hongkongers,” Shum said.

Tang refuted Shum’s claims, saying he had only spent a matter of weeks at the mainland academies.

“I spent a year at Britain’s Royal College of Defence Studies and was trained for four months by the Federal Bureau of Investigation [in the United States],” Tang said. “Should people question my ties with these countries?”

Shum also claimed Tang had close ties with rural powers during his time as district commander of Yuen Long – the scene of an attack by white-clad men against protesters and commuters on July 21 that resulted in the hospitalisation of at least 45 people.

“Maybe that explains why no police officer has been [prosecuted] for the July 21 incident, and only seven people have been charged,” Shum said.



Tang said he would never side with triads. The police chief, who was Yuen Long commander from 2012 to 2013, said he had only maintained a normal relationship with rural leader Tsang Shu-wo.

“I believe I am closer to [pan-democrat district councillor] Roy Kwong Chun-yu,” Tang said.

Police have been criticised for taking 39 minutes to respond to the attack. However, the force has countered that manpower was stretched by another protest on Hong Kong Island that evening.

Other councillors displayed photos of bloodied protesters and accused officers of using excessive force in arresting them.

In his opening remarks, Tang said 7,019 people had been arrested in relation to the protests, sparked by the now-withdrawn extradition bill. He said 1,092 had been charged, and of the cases that went to court, 38 were convicted, leading to the jailing of 12 people.

Some councillors also grilled Tang about a knife attack in Tsuen Wan on August 5, which happened after a white-clad group clashed with protesters.

Tang said police were still investigating the case, but he refused to give further details.
“No arrest has been made,” Tang said.

He left the meeting before councillors tabled a non-binding motion urging the government to dismiss the force. The motion was backed by 17 pan-democrats on the 21-member council.

Outside the meeting, Tang said he would report the police’s review of some complaints against officers to a Legislative Council panel meeting on February 4.

Before the meeting, 100 police supporters rallied outside the building.

“Save the children, support police,” they chanted.

The meeting was also interrupted more than a dozen times by police supporters in the public gallery.

Council chairman Chan Yuen-sum ejected about 10 people but others continued to shout from their seats.

Speaking after the meeting, pro-democracy councillors described Tang’s appearance as a public relations stunt and said he did not address their questions. “The police chief did not dare listen to our motion … we think he fled the meeting,” councillor Lau Chi-hung said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×