London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Nobel Prize winner Mukwege says he was ‘never’ paid by NGO at heart of Qatargate probe

Nobel Prize winner Mukwege says he was ‘never’ paid by NGO at heart of Qatargate probe

The Congolese doctor sat on honorary board of Fight Impunity, which other high-profile members have left amid the scandal.
Renowned Congolese doctor and Nobel Prize winner Denis Mukwege on Monday played down his role at one of the NGOs ensnared in the snowballing Brussels lobbying scandal involving alleged bribes from Qatar and Morocco.

Mukwege, famous for treating survivors of sexual violence at his Panzi Hospital in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, sat on the honorary board of the human rights group Fight Impunity, established in 2019 by former Italian Socialist MEP Pier Antonio Panzeri, who is now in jail pending trial in relation to the scandal.

Fight Impunity is among the groups at the heart of the so-called Qatargate corruption allegations, centered on whether Qatar and Morocco bought influence in the European Parliament, including from former Parliament Vice President Eva Kaili, who’s among the four so far charged in Brussels.

Mukwege is one of a long list of luminaries who Panzeri persuaded to join his honorary board, lending the NGO an aura of respectability despite the fact it was never registered in the EU’s transparency log. Former EU Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos, for instance, has admitted to receiving €60,000 for his role on the honorary board.

Along with the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize, Mukwege also won the European Parliament’s 2014 Sakharov Prize for his work to combat the use of sexual violence in wars. Other members of the board said the gynecologist’s involvement helped persuade them to sign up too.

In a statement Monday, Mukwege’s Panzi Foundation said it “never received financial support from the NGO Fight Impunity; nor has our President participated in any of its meetings.” A spokesperson for Mukwege later clarified that the statement referred to in-person meetings. They also said he has resigned from the honorary board.

The statement said he did participate virtually in two events co-organized by Fight Impunity and the Parliament’s subcommittee on human rights related to his push for justice in the Democratic Republic of Congo, adding that the subcommittee, known in parliamentary shorthand as DROI, “regularly” invited him to take part in its work.

“We hope that the work of the European Parliament in promoting and protecting human rights around the world is not suspended or hindered by this scandal of corruption,” Mukwege’s statement said.

Mukwege is the most high-profile board member who was yet to speak out about the scandal that erupted on December 9 when Belgian authorities seized €1.5 million in cash amid raids around Brussels and made several arrests.

The center-right European People’s Party group has called for DROI’s work to be frozen pending further investigation, a proposal strongly contested by human rights NGOs and other political groups.

DROI’s chair, Belgian Socialist MEP Maria Arena, has not been charged or investigated but has multiple ties to Panzeri, who ran the committee during the last parliamentary mandate. The office of Arena’s parliamentary assistant Donatella Rostagno, who also moonlighted for Fight Impunity, was raided by the Belgian police earlier this month.

Belgian authorities have also seized computer equipment from the office of a Parliament official called Mychelle Rieu, who is the head of the DROI secretariat.

In an email to top DROI MEPs earlier this month, seen by POLITICO, Arena said she would temporarily not chair the panel’s meetings “until the facts are established.” She wrote: “Light has to be shed on all wrongdoings, the responsibility of everyone implicated needs to be established.”

The EPP has called on Parliament President Roberta Metsola to formally suspend her.

Arena has frequently championed Mukwege’s work on justice, gender-based violence and conflict minerals in the DRC.

Other members of the Fight Impunity honorary board have also resigned since the scandal broke, including former French Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.

“All these people have been tricked by hooligans,” Cazeneuve told POLITICO.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9 Percent as Energy Costs Threaten Economic Recovery
NHS Hospitals Cancel Surgeries as Extreme Heat Pushes Ward Temperatures Above 40 Degrees Celsius
UK Heatwave Forces Emergency Measures as Wildfire Risk, Hospital Disruption and Drought Intensify
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
UK Marks Ten Years of Night Tube as London Weekend Usage Exceeds Eighty-One Thousand Journeys a Night
Met Office Issues Thunderstorm Warnings Across Northern Ireland Over Flash-Flood Risk
Frasers Group Raises Stake in Hugo Boss to Nearly Forty-Eight Percent
Scottish Clyde Marine Pilots Prepare for Strike That Could Disrupt Glasgow and Greenock Shipping
×