London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Levelling up: More than 90% of funding not yet spent

Levelling up: More than 90% of funding not yet spent

The UK government has spent less than 10% of its £4.8bn fund for levelling up since its launch in 2020, according to official figures.

The figures, obtained by the Labour Party, show £392m has been spent from the fund as of last month.

The fund awarded £1.7bn to projects in October 2021 and another £2.1bn in January 2023.

It is part of the wider levelling-up agenda, which is designed to address UK regional economic inequalities.

The policy aims to close the gap between parts of the UK by improving transport, education and broadband.

Dozens of projects across the UK have been awarded money from the fund, which was an initiative started by the Conservative government of former Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Labour submitted a freedom of information (FOI) request to ask the government to confirm how much of the £4.8bn allocated to the fund had been spent.

In its response, the government said a total of £224m had been spent as of 18 January 2023, with that figure rising to £392m by 22 February.

Shadow levelling up secretary Lisa Nandy revealed the figures as MPs put questions to government ministers in Parliament on Monday.

She compared the cost of the government's decision to give high earners pension tax breaks in the Budget earlier this month to the money it had spent on levelling up.

Ms Nandy said: "They can get their act together when it comes to the 1%, but when it comes to investment in our local transport, decent housing, even on delivering on a single one of the levelling-up missions, why is it that the rest of us always have to wait?"

The Liberal Democrats said the government's levelling up plans "are a shambles"."Ultimately the buck stops with Michael Gove, he has overseen a systematic failure to provide much-needed funding to dozens of communities across the country," the party's local government spokesperson Helen Morgan said.

But Levelling Up Secretary Michael Gove defended the government's record, arguing that Chancellor Jeremy Hunt had made sure millions of pounds would be spent in his Budget.

"This is a government impactful, effective and focused," Mr Gove said. "And on the other side, I'm afraid, all we hear is the cackle of impotence."

The BBC has asked for a comment from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.


To receive money from the Levelling Up Fund, local authorities can apply for money from the UK government to pay for infrastructure projects. The fund has awarded £3.8bn to 216 projects in total over two rounds.

A total of 111 areas were awarded money from the second round in January this year, including £50m for a new train line between Cardiff Bay and Cardiff Central Station and £27m for a ferry in Shetland.

The North West of England got the most money in both rounds of funding.

But some politicians have complained about the process for allocating the money.

Andy Street, the Conservative mayor of the West Midlands, has criticised the funding process, calling it a "broken begging bowl culture".

He suggested the money would have been allocated better by local decision-makers than civil servants in London.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has said "levelling up adds little value to London communities" and called the process for allocating funds "an unmitigated disaster".

Shadow levelling-up secretary Lisa Nandy revealed the figures in Parliament


Labour has said it would end the "competitive-style bidding" process but would not cancel projects that had already been approved.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has argued the most deprived areas would benefit from the money.

In January, Mr Sunak said his government was committed to levelling up "across the UK" and denied politics had influenced the allocation of funds."I think around half the funding we have announced over the course of today, or both funds, has actually gone to places that are not controlled by Conservative MPs or councils," he said at the time.

The government says there will be a third round of the Levelling Up Fund but is yet to announce when this will be made available.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×