London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong slams ‘improper’ international call for return of 12 city fugitives

Hong Kong slams ‘improper’ international call for return of 12 city fugitives

Open letter to Hong Kong leader says continued failure to push for transfer represents a ‘gross abdication’ of her responsibility to city residents.

An open letter issued by more than 150 lawmakers from 18 countries urging Hong Kong’s leader to demand the immediate return of the 12 city fugitives detained in China has drawn a strong rebuke from the government, dismissing the call as “entirely improper”.

It has been more than 100 days since the dozen – all of whom are wanted in connection with last year’s anti-government protests– were arrested at sea by the Chinese coastguard while attempting to flee to Taiwan in August. They have been held in a Shenzhen detention centre ever since.

Last week, police in the southern Chinese city handed the case to prosecutors to rule if they should move ahead with criminal proceedings against the Hongkongers, who stand accused of entering waters illegally or organising an illegal border crossing.


US Senator Marco Rubio, who has been outspoken in his criticism of the Hong Kong government, was one of the signatories to the letter.


In an open letter published on Tuesday, 155 lawmakers from countries including the United States, Britain, Australia, Germany and Japan, urged Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor to raise the case with Chinese officials in Beijing to ensure the detainees were guaranteed justice.

“To continue to fail to do so would be a gross abdication of your responsibility to serve the people of Hong Kong and ensure their well-being and safety,” the letter read.

They also expressed concerns about the justice system, which they said commonly employed torture and forced confessions, demanding she help the city residents return home to stand trial and ensure they have direct contact with their families and legal representatives.

But in a strongly worded statement issued late on Wednesday, the Hong Kong government denounced foreign lawmakers’ “entirely improper” calls for their return, which it described as a display of double standards.

“We condemn these politicians for turning a blind eye to the violence and serious crimes for which these absconded suspects are facing trial,” a government spokeswoman said.

“They should not condone the abscondment of suspects who are pending court trial, seeking to evade legal liabilities and in violation of court orders, by beautifying their escape from justice and ignoring justice for political reasons.“

So far, none of the lawyers hired by the detainees’ families had been able to visit their clients, with Chinese authorities repeatedly requesting they drop the cases, saying the group – 11 men and one woman aged 16 to 33 – had already been appointed representation.


The 12 Hongkongers now detained in Shenzhen were captured at sea while attempting to flee to Taiwan.


Among the politicians signing the joint letter were US Senate Intelligence Committee chairman Marco Rubio, one of the key advocates of the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act; US House Foreign Affairs Committee chair Eliot Engel; UK Foreign Affairs Committee chair Tom Tugendhat; and New Zealand Foreign Affairs Committee chair Simon O’Connor.

Lam has previously said authorities enjoyed the jurisdictional right to detain the 12 fugitives, arguing that those who depicted them as “oppressed democracy activists” were trying to distract from their status as individuals wanted by police.

Benedict Rogers, who heads the London-based advocacy group Hong Kong Watch, said the latest joint letter reflected an international consensus that it was “a watershed case” that could determine if it would become common for Hongkongers to be held on the and stand trial there.

On Tuesday, localist activists set up street booths in various districts of the city to promote awareness of the 12 Hongkongers’ plight. Owen Chow Ka-sing, who handed out fliers in Causeway Bay, said local police had intervened and videotaped the whole process, a claim the force had rejected in the past.

Human rights group Amnesty International earlier warned that the dozen were at risk of torture, believing they had been subjected to some of “the most common tactics from the Chinese police’s playbook”.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×