London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Chinese complains US ‘forced entry’ into Houston consulate after diplomats leave over spying claims

Beijing promises ‘necessary response’ after man thought to be State Department official enters when back door was prised open. Trump administration says diplomatic outpost was at the ‘epicentre’ of efforts to steal scientific research

China on Saturday protested against the “forced entry” into the Chinese consulate in Houston by US law enforcement agents after the diplomats were forced to leave over spying claims.

Wang Wenbin, China’s foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement that the US had no right to break into the facility and warned that Beijing will make the “necessary response”.

“The Chinese consulate general in Houston is a diplomatic and consular premise, as well as China’s national property. The US should not violate the premise by any means according to the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations and the China-US consular treaty,” he said.

Wang said China is “strongly dissatisfied” and “resolutely opposes” the US move, adding that Beijing has lodged stern representations with the United States.

Earlier on Friday, the Houston Chronicle reported that after the eviction deadline passed, a man believed to be a State Department official entered the consulate, along with others, after a small back door was pried open.

The report said officials had earlier tried three separate entrances, but were not able to gain entry. Security teams, wearing shirts emblazoned with the words US Department of State, stood watch at the back entrance. The fire department also entered and exited the consulate.

Vans bearing diplomatic plates departed the consulate as the 4pm Friday deadline arrived. At that point, federal agents checked the locked doors of the consulate and a locksmith was seen working to crack the lock on one door.

Meanwhile, a small group of protesters gathered across the street and played a recording criticising the Chinese government. It was unclear at the scene if the consulate had been cleared of consular staff.

The Trump administration ordered the Chinese consulate in Houston to shut down earlier this week, accusing Beijing of stealing intellectual property and claimed the consulate in Houston was the “epicentre” of China’s research theft.

Washington on Tuesday ordered the consulate to close within 72 hours.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin condemned the move as unreasonable and said the US move had seriously breached international law and harmed China-US relations.

The US alleged that the consulate was a nest of Chinese spies who tried to steal data from facilities in Texas, including the Texas A&M medical system and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre in Houston.



The US Justice Department recently charged four people with visa fraud “in connection with a scheme to lie about their status” as members of the People’s Liberation Army while conducting research in the US.

The official said those charged represented a “microcosm … of a broader network of individuals” in more than 25 US cities who are “supported through the consulates here” and given “guidance on how to evade and obstruct our investigation”.

In a tit-for-tat response, Beijing on Friday ordered the US consulate in Chengdu to close and accused American personnel at the consulate of interfering in China’s domestic affairs.

In an open letter posted on the website of Chinese consulate in Houston, consul Cai Wei said the bilateral cooperation between the Chinese government and America’s Southern states would continue despite the consulate’s closure, and the Chinese embassy in the US will make “appropriate arrangements” in continuing such cooperation as well as consular affairs.

“The course of history may experience twists and turns due to the disruption caused by a small group of people, but the friendship between the Chinese and American people will not cease, the bright future of Sino-US friendship cooperation will be stopped by no one,” he wrote.




Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×