London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Feb 16, 2026

Prince Charles could be called as witness in cash-for-honours investigation

Prince Charles could be called as witness in cash-for-honours investigation

Scotland Yard looking into allegations that the Prince’s Foundation charity offered help in securing a knighthood

The Prince of Wales is facing the prospect of being interviewed by police as a witness after Scotland Yard launched an investigation into an alleged cash-for-honours scandal.

The Prince’s Foundation, Charles’s charitable body, is at the heart of a criminal inquiry into allegations that a Saudi donor was offered help in securing a knighthood.

The announcement marked further turmoil for the royal family, coming a day after Charles’s brother, the Duke of York, reached an out-of-court settlement with a woman who accused him of sexually assaulting her when she was 17, which he denies.

Last year the Prince’s Foundation ordered an independent investigation, which found that Charles’s former closest aide, Michael Fawcett, coordinated with “fixers” in a bid to secure the honour. The charity said Fawcett supported and would assist the investigation.

The anti-monarchy pressure group Republic contacted the Metropolitan police in September and reported Charles and Fawcett in the wake of media coverage of the claims. The former Liberal Democrat MP Norman Baker also asked the force to probe the allegations against Fawcett.

On Wednesday, the Met said it had received a letter in September relating to the press reports and after further inquiries launched an investigation into allegations of offences under the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925. There have been no arrests or interviews under caution, the force added.

Clarence House reiterated its previous statement, saying: “The Prince of Wales had no knowledge of the alleged offer of honours or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities.” A spokesperson for the Prince’s Foundation said: “It would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing investigation.”

Now the Met has launched an investigation, questions have been raised as to whether the heir to the throne may be interviewed by police. He is president of the foundation but not involved with its governance, with the charity’s trustees overseeing day-to-day activities.

Graham Smith, the chief executive of Republic, said: “I think we want to know that Prince Charles himself will be investigated along with Michael Fawcett. So we hope the investigation will be carried out without fear or favour and will as be thorough as it needs to be.”

A former Scotland Yard assistant commissioner, Robert Quick, said detectives would weigh up carefully whether they need to speak to Charles, almost certainly as a witness.

Quick, who was head of specialist operations, including counter-terrorism and royalty protection, said: “If it is obvious he is not involved in any way, then there is no need. If he may have pertinent information, then he may be spoken to.”

Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, added: “This has the potential to be very challenging for Prince Charles. For decades, Michael Fawcett was one of his most powerful confidants. If their investigation is to be credible, the Met police will have to interview the future king in the same way they would any other citizen.”

But Mark Stephens, an international reputation lawyer from the law firm Howard Kennedy, said he thought it highly unlikely that the prince would face a police interview. He said: “Charles has an entire staff who runs his office and he’s only told about the intimate dealings when he needs to know about them, and he clearly wouldn’t have needed to know about this.”

Fawcett, who resigned as chief executive of the Prince’s Foundation in the wake of the scandal, was accused of promising to help secure a knighthood and British citizenship for Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, a Saudi billionaire charity donor and businessman.

Last year, the Mail on Sunday published a 2017 letter in which Fawcett allegedly wrote that he was willing to make an application to change Mahfouz’s honorary CBE to a knighthood and support his application for British citizenship.

The letter, written on headed notepaper in Fawcett’s capacity as chief executive of the Dumfries House Trust, said the applications would be made in response to “the most recent and anticipated support” of the trust.

Mahfouz, who is listed as a supporter on the Prince’s Foundation website, is reported to have donated large sums to restoration projects of particular interest to Charles. He denies any wrongdoing.

The Prince’s Foundation commissioned an independent investigation into the allegations, which found evidence of Fawcett’s “communications and coordination” with “so-called ‘fixers’ regarding honorary nominations for a donor between 2014 and 18”.


On Wednesday Scotland Yard said: “The Special Enquiry Team has conducted the assessment process which has included contacting those believed to hold relevant information. Officers liaised with the Prince’s Foundation about the findings of an independent investigation into fundraising practices. The foundation provided a number of relevant documents.

“These documents were reviewed alongside existing information. The assessment determined an investigation will commence. There have been no arrests or interviews under caution.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
Businessman Adam Brooks weighs in on the reports that the US is set to help Hamit Coskun flee the UK, over free speech concerns
U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi Releases 3.5 Million Pages of Jeffrey Epstein Case Files
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Comment on European allies report blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using toxin from poison dart frogs
Eighty-Year-Old Lottery Winner Sentenced to 16.5 Years for Drug Trafficking
UK Quran Burner May Receive Asylum in the US Amid Legal Challenges
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Poland's President Advocates for Evaluating Independent Nuclear Weapons Development
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Mayor of Serdobsk in Russia’s Penza Region Resigns After Housing Certificates Granted to Migrant Family Trigger Public Outcry
Pentagon Reviews Anthropic Partnership After Claude AI Reportedly Used in Operation Targeting Nicolás Maduro
President Donald Trump and Hip-Hop’s Political Realignment: Pardons, Public Endorsements, and the Struggle Over Cultural Influence
China’s EV Makers Face Mandatory Return to Physical Buttons and Door Handles in Driver-Distraction Safety Overhaul
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
‘Amelia’: The UK Government’s Anti-Extremism Game Villain Who Became a Protest Symbol
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Walmart's Earnings and UK Economic Data Highlight Upcoming Financial Trends
UK Green Party Considering Proposal to Legalize Heroin for an Inclusive Society
SpaceX's New Vision: Lunar City Takes Precedence Over Mars Colonization
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
We will protect them from the digital Wild West.’ Another country will ban social media for under-16s
McDonald's Shortens Breakfast Hours in Australia Due to Egg Shortage
Heineken announces cut of 6,000 jobs due to declining beer demand
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick acknowledges 2012 visit to Jeffrey Epstein’s private island as lawmakers scrutinise past ties
Helsing and Stark Defence loitering-munition drones and Germany’s race to industrialise battlefield autonomy
UK orders deletion of Courtsdesk court-data archive, reigniting the fight over who controls public justice records
UK Police Review Fresh Claims Involving Prince Andrew as Senior Royals Respond to Epstein Files
Keir Starmer’s Premiership Faces Unprecedented Strain as Epstein Fallout Deepens
Starmer Vows to Stay in Office as UK Government Faces Turmoil After Epstein Fallout
China and UK Signal Tentative Reset with Commitment to Steadier, Professionally Managed Relations
UK Confirms Imminent Increase in ETA Fee to £20 as Entry Rules Tighten
UK Signals Possible Seizure of Russia-Linked ‘Shadow Fleet’ Tanker in Escalation of Sanctions Enforcement
Epstein Scandal Piles Unprecedented Pressure on UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Leadership
UK’s ‘Most Romantic Village’ Celebrates Valentine’s Day and Explores the Festival’s Rich History
The Implications of Expanding Voting Rights to Non-EU Foreign Residents in France
Ghislaine Maxwell to Testify Before US Congress on February 9
Al.com Acquired by Crypto.com Founder for $70 Million
Apple iPhone Lockdown Mode blocks FBI data access in journalist device seizure
Belgium: Man Charged with Rape After Faking Payment to Sex Worker
KPMG Urges Auditor to Relay AI Cost Savings
×