London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Home Secretary tells Met chief he must ‘root out rapists’ in police

Home Secretary tells Met chief he must ‘root out rapists’ in police

EXCLUSIVE: Suella Braverman told the Standard that ‘real change is needed now’ in the Met to stop offenders like Carrick ‘slipping through the net’

Home Secretary Suella Braverman has demanded that the Metropolitan Police show it is “rooting out the rapists” as London reels in shock at the horrifying crimes committed by sex fiend officer David Carrick.

Speaking to the Evening Standard, she stressed that “real change is needed now” to stop offenders like Carrick “slipping through the net” and using positions of power to carry out “sickening crimes”.

His campaign of sex offences would “inevitably undermine” the trust that the public has in the capital’s police, she added.

Her comments came as Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley admitted he could not promise women in London that police officers to whom they report crimes were not themselves sex offenders.

But he vowed to “ruthlessly” identify hundreds of officers or staff who needed to be kicked out of the force. Some 1,000 previously examined complaints of sexual or domestic abuse involving 800 officers were being urgently re-examined with the failings in the Carrick case indicating that further mistakes were likely to be uncovered.


David Carrick

The 48-year-old, once a trusted armed officer in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, has been revealed as one of Britain’s most prolific sex offenders.

Ms Braverman said: “David Carrick’s heinous crimes will have shocked and appalled people across London.

“I spoke to Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley yesterday and discussed how the Met Police have an effective plan in place to rapidly improve their vetting processes.

“But they must now deliver it and show evidence that it has worked to root out the rapists and sex offenders so people like this cannot remain part of our capital’s police force and can no longer slip through the net.

“It is simply unthinkable that women in London, and across the UK, continue to be left at risk by failings which allow such devious offenders to carry out these crimes which have such a devastating impact on victims.

“Real change is needed, and now.”

In the Commons Ms Braverman announced the parameters of a review into police dismissals will be published on Tuesday and the Carrick case included in the investigation.

"Yesterday was a dark day for British policing, " she said in reference to the Carrick case, adding “it’s imperative that this cannot happen again”.

The Home Secretary also praised the “extraordinary strength and courage” of Carrick’s victims.
David Carrick on Monday admitted 49 charges against 12 different women


Carrick, nicknamed “Bastard Dave” by colleagues, on Monday admitted 49 charges against 12 different women.

They include rape, false imprisonment, possession of an imitation firearm and coercive and controlling behaviour. Charges relating to a 13th victim were dropped.

He is due to be sentenced on February 6 and faces life imprisonment.

Astonishingly, he was allowed to remain a Met officer, on restricted duties, despite an allegation of rape against him made in July 2021, when the force was vowing major reforms in the wake of the Wayne Couzens scandal.

Carrick’s offending spanned from 2003 to 2020, mostly taking place in Hertfordshire, where he lived.

As an armed officer he policed parliamentary and government buildings, boasting of guarding Boris Johnson, and was only suspended after a second rape complaint was made against him in October 2021.

Scotland Yard failed to sack him despite nine incidents, including allegations of rape and domestic violence, coming to police attention over his two decades of offending.

Met Police officer Couzens murdered Sarah Everard, 33, after kidnapping her as she walked home from a friend’s house in south London on 3 March 2021. He was jailed for life.

After Carrick’s guilty pleas and with the Met’s reputation so badly damaged, Sir Mark took to the airwaves this morning to explain how he would seek to win back Londoners’ trust.

“We have let London down,” he said.

“I need to fix that and I’m changing the leadership team, getting more resources into this.”

He was pressed on ITV’s Good Morning Britain by presenter Susanna Reid on how women reporting a sexual offences can know that the officer that they are speaking to is not accused of something similar to Carrick, or tolerating comparable behaviour in their department.

Sir Mark responded: “I’m not going to make a promise that I can’t stick to.

“I’m going to put in place ruthless systems to squeeze out those who should not be with us.”

Later, on BBC Breakfast, he admitted that while there were tens of thousands of “fantastic” officers, hundreds needed to be kicked out of the Met.

All 45,000 Met police and staff were being re-vetted to identify others unfit to be in the force and that 250 cases involving potential misconduct had been generated by an internal appeal for information about suspected wrongdoing.

Home Secretary Suella Braverman


Officers were being “systematically” reviewed if they had “historic flags” against them for potentially being involved in sexual violence or domestic abuse, he added.

Sir Mark said he would write an open letter to the Home Secretary and Mayor Sadiq Khan on 31 March detailing the progress achieved by then.

He also repeated his dismay at the Met’s failure to remove Carrick from the force far earlier and admitted that he could not defend the “incomprehensibly weak and wrong decision” not to remove him from restricted duties after there was found to be insufficient evidence to bring charges over a 2021 rape allegation.

He added: “What’s gone on has been absolutely sickening. We’ve let individuals down and we’ve let London down. It’s completely understandable that women will think how much can I trust police? It’s not a good situation.

The Commissioner’s pledge came as there were calls on Tuesday for a public inquiry into misogyny in policing and for the Met to be restructured in the same way that the former Royal Ulster Constabulary was reconstituted.

Labour’s shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper also criticised government inaction, saying that ministers had “failed to introduce any new national standards or requirements or any serious changes to police vetting, conduct and misconduct processes” and that there had been “a total lack of leadership from the centre” to help Sir Mark deliver his promised reforms

Baroness Casey, who is conducting a review of the Met’s standards in the wake of the Couzens scandal, called for the Home Secretary to launch an inquiry into the Carrick case.

Her interim report found allegations of sexual offences, racism, misogyny and homophobia against officers were badly mishandled.

Sir Mark, who took control of the Met in September after Dame Cressida Dick was forced out of the job after a number of scandals, admitted that rooting out corrupt officers, or those who abuse their position, had not been the force’s “highest priority” in recent years.

But he sought to reassure the public that Carrick, and offenders with a similar background, would not pass vetting to become officers now.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
White House launches ‘Hall of Shame’ site to publicly condemn media outlets for alleged bias
UK Budget’s New EV Mileage Tax Undercuts Case for Plug-In Hybrids
UK Government Launches National Inquiry into ‘Grooming Gangs’ After US Warning and Rising Public Outcry
Taylor Swift Extends U.K. Chart Reign as ‘The Fate of Ophelia’ Hits Six Weeks at No. 1
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
×