London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

Census 2021: Judge orders change to sex question guidance

Census 2021: Judge orders change to sex question guidance

Part of the census guidance for England and Wales accompanying the question on a person's sex should be withdrawn, a High Court judge has ordered.

Campaign group Fair Play for Women argued it unlawfully allowed "self-identification" as male or female.

The guidance said people can use the sex listed on their passport - which can be changed without a legal process.

The Office for National Statistics said it was asking the same question on sex it had done since 1801.

After a court hearing on Tuesday, Mr Justice Swift ruled that the guidance should be changed to say individuals should only respond with the answer on their birth certificate or gender recognition certificate - a document which allows trans people to change their legal gender.

A full judicial review will take place next week before the census day, but the judge made the interim order saying he was satisfied the campaign group was "more likely than not to succeed" on its case regarding the legal definition of "sex".

Taking place in England, Wales and Northern Ireland on 21 March, the census aims to provide a snapshot of the population of the country which can then be used to make decisions about services - and which this year will be used to understand the impact of the pandemic.

Scotland's census has been postponed for a year because of the coronavirus crisis.

For the first time, it will include a question about gender identity as well as the one about a person's legally registered sex. The decision had been welcomed by some trans people as a "step in the right direction".

The legal action comes after ministers abandoned plans last year to reform the Gender Recognition Act to allow people to change their birth certificates without a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria - a process known as "self-identification".

Fair Play for Women, which seeks to defend "the sex-based rights of women and girls", launched a crowdfunded legal action arguing that the census guidance on the question, "What is your sex?" was unlawful. The group called it "sex self-identification through the back door".

The guidance, published in the online census only, said: "If you are considering how to answer, use the sex recorded on one of your legal documents such as a birth certificate, gender recognition certificate, or passport.

"If you are aged 16 years or over, there is a later voluntary question on gender identity. This asks if the gender you identify with is different from your sex registered at birth.

"If it is different, you can then record your gender identity."

The guidance opposed by Fair Play for Women only appears online - not on the paper form
Fair Play for Women had argued that, unlike a birth certificate, a person's sex on a passport or other legal document such as a driving licence can be altered without a formal legal process.

They argued this could potentially have the effect of "distorting" the data gathered in the census.

The Office for National Statistics argued that the question on sex could refer to a person's sex as recorded in any document provided by the state.

Speaking before the hearing, Dr Nicola Williams, director of Fair Play For Women, said: "If we don't have good data on sex we can't monitor inequalities due to sex, and if we can't measure it, we can't make good policies to remedy it."

The Office for National Statistics said most people did not need help to answer the question on sex but it would update the guidance to advise people to use the sex recorded on their birth certificate or gender recognition certificate.

A spokesperson for the ONS said: "We are continuing to ask a binary choice, female or male, sex question on the census. This approach is unchanged since 1801."

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×