London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Wuhan virus could infect 150,000 people a day

Wuhan virus could infect 150,000 people a day

Hong Kong scientist has warned of the nightmare scenario as deadly coronavirus continues to spread
A world-renowned scientist in Hong Kong has warned that the deadly Wuhan coronavirus could infect as many as 150,000 people per day in one of China’s largest metropolitan areas – Chongqing.

Dr. Gabriel Leung, the chair professor of public health medicine at the University of Hong Kong and founding director of the World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Control, said the infection rate could soar to that unprecedented level by April or May, which could produce disastrous consequences in the sprawling megapolis of more than 30 million people.

During a press conference on Monday, Leung estimated that as of Saturday, about 25,630 people were likely infected in China, nearly 10 times the official confirmed count of 2,700 cases at the time. Leung added that the number of people infected could be as high as 44,000 if the figure included those whose infection was in the incubation stage.

Leung said the epidemic will continue to grow until it peaks in April and May, hitting other large metropolitan areas such as Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou.

Hong Kong is not likely to see any easing of the epidemic until June and July, Leung said. The government’s current “containment” strategy against the disease may not work over the long run and stronger measures could be needed, including running large-scale public hygiene campaigns, reducing the flow of people between cities and suspending classes and public activities, he said.

As of 3 pm on Tuesday, the total number of confirmed cases in China was 4,470 and the death toll had reached 107, according to the National Health Commission. More than 30,000 people are under medical observation.

Commenting on the government’s latest decision to forbid those who have lived or stayed in Hubei province in the last 14 days from entering Hong Kong, Leung said it was a good start but stressed that the ban should extend to more mainland cities.

Leung said that some people could lie about where they had been in order to avoid being identified and isolated and that there was little the government could do about it.

Citizen’s Press Conference, a political activist group formed by anti-extradition protesters last year, said in a Monday press briefing that the Hong Kong government should immediately ban all mainlanders from entering the city.

The group said people tended not to tell Hong Kong customs officials if they had been to Hubei and that the government failed to crosscheck. They urged the government to prepare for a scenario in which hundreds of thousands of Hong Kong residents return from the mainland over the next few days infected with the virus.

Sophia Chan Siu-chee, secretary for food and health, admitted that customs officials currently rely on incoming travelers to be honest about where they have been. Chan said the government would consider punishing those who lie.

A train passenger from Guangzhou told NowTV that she was asked to fill in a form at Hong Kong customs asking where she had been over the past two weeks. She said such a declaration was not effective and suggested the Hong Kong government obtain detailed information about all passengers from the China Railway network.

Macau is surpassing Hong Kong in terms of epidemic control. Macau officials successfully identified 144 people from Hubei and sent 140 back to the mainland. The remaining four decided to stay and be quarantined. Macau police will monitor another 500 Hubei people already in the city.

Last Friday, a Wuhan couple who did not show signs of a fever, fled the Prince of Wales Hospital after they were told they would have to pay medical fees of HK$5,100 (US$656) per day as they were not residents. They were escorted back to the hospital by police.

The couple came to Hong Kong to visit their daughter at Lake Silver in Man On Shan. After they were identified as infected, their daughter developed a fever and was sent to the Prince of Wales Hospital for isolation, while her Filipino domestic worker was sent to the Lady MacLehose Holiday Village for quarantine.

The domestic worker did not show any signs of infection, the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong announced.

Chung Kin-lai, director (quality and safety) of the Hospital Authority, said on Monday that all patients with suspected and confirmed cases of the virus would not have to pay for medical expenses in public hospitals. Chung said the new measure would help stop the virus from spreading.

Local medical staff were upset by the decision saying it could attract a large number of non-local patients seeking free medical attention in Hong Kong and significantly increase their workload.

As of noon on Monday, the Centre for Health Protection had received reports of 451 infection cases, including eight confirmed cases and 276 cases that were not novel coronavirus. The remaining 167 patients were hospitalized for further investigation.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Police Officers Guarded 2010 Epstein Dinner Attended by Prince Andrew, Reports Say
US Trade Representative Affirms Commitment to Existing Tariff Agreements with UK and Other Partners
Metropolitan Police Deploys Palantir-Powered AI to Flag Potential Officer Misconduct
UK Parliament Rebukes Police Over Ban on Israeli Football Fans
Britain Emerges Among a Small Group of Nations Without a Religious Majority
UK’s Manufacturing Base at Risk as Soaring Energy Costs Weigh on Industry
Matt Goodwin’s Unconventional Campaign for Reform UK in the Gorton and Denton By-Election
US Military Movements in the UK Spark Speculation Over Preparations Related to Iran Tensions
UK Faces Significant Economic Risk From Trump’s New Global Tariff Regime
UK Defence Secretary Signals Intent to Deploy British Troops to Ukraine
UK Students Mark Lunar New Year as Universities Adjust to New Equality Compliance Rules
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
×