London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

What did second investigation into Boris Johnson flat refurb find?

What did second investigation into Boris Johnson flat refurb find?

Key points in No 11 flat saga as prime minister is again cleared of breaching ministerial code

For a second time, Boris Johnson has been cleared of breaching the ministerial code over concerns about how he funded renovations to his Downing Street flat – though he faced opprobrium from his ethics adviser. The saga has lasted two years and spawned several investigations, most of which have now concluded. This is what we know so far.

What was Johnson accused of doing?


In February 2021, media reports surfaced that a Tory donor was funding renovations to the No 11 Downing Street flat Johnson shares with his wife, Carrie, and their children. Although prime ministers get £30,000 of public money a year to spruce up their official residence, the cost of the renovation reportedly exceeded that, rising as high as £200,000.

The Daily Mail said some additional payments were made through the Conservative party and had not been properly declared, so the idea of a trust was floated – like those that help pay for the upkeep of the prime minister’s countryside retreat, Chequers.

In March, Downing Street insisted Johnson had met all the costs personally. It later turned out others had originally footed the bill but he then came up with the money himself and the original payees were refunded.

Then in April, a leaked email came to light from a Tory peer, David Brownlow, to the co-chair of the Conservatives Ben Elliot, dated October 2020. Brownlow confirmed he was making a £15,000 donation, and another worth £58,000 “to cover the payments the party has already made on behalf of the soon to be formed Downing Street trust”.

Facing huge pressure, Johnson appointed a new ethics adviser, Christopher Geidt, to look into a potential breach of the ministerial code.

What did the first investigation find?


Lord Geidt’s inquiry said that to ensure credibility he had “tested the assertions” that “at no point” until the media reports first emerged did Johnson know either “the fact or the method” of money being paid to cover the refurbishment.

Although the work had started almost a year previously, Geidt said he had spoken directly to Johnson, and the prime minister said “he knew nothing about such payments until immediately prior to media reports in February 2021”. Geidt said Johnson had acted “unwisely”, but cleared him of breaching the ministerial code.

What about the second investigation?


While Geidt’s inquiry was under way, the Electoral Commission began its own in April, saying there were “reasonable grounds” to suspect an offence might have occurred. The watchdog published its findings in December 2021, saying the Conservatives had not reported Brownlow’s £58,000 donation and fining the party just over £17,000.

In its report, the commission confirmed that as early as 21 January 2020 – just a month after Johnson’s landslide election win – the supplier of the refurbishment provided a detailed proposal to No 10 about the work.

A curious piece of evidence also emerged from the commission’s findings: that Johnson messaged Brownlow on WhatsApp in November 2020 “asking him to authorise further, at that stage unspecified, refurbishment works on the residence”, and that Brownlow agreed and explained about the concept of the trust.

This appeared to suggest a discrepancy with Johnson’s original insistence to Geidt he “knew nothing” about the payments.

What happened then?


Unhappy he had not been given a key piece of evidence, Geidt spent December exchanging letters with Johnson to find out why, and whether it should alter the findings of his initial report.

Geidt eventually concluded, in letters released on Thursday, that he still believed Johnson had not broken the ministerial code. If he had, it could have set off a seriously damaging chain of events for the government. Usually, those who break the ministerial code are forced to resign – though Johnson has previously spared a cabinet colleague this fate.

The publication of the WhatsApp messages between Johnson and Brownlow, revealing the prime minister raised the issue of support for a “Great Exhibition 2” while requesting No 11 funds, means further questions are being asked, however.

What could happen next?


There could yet be another investigation, launched by the parliamentary standards commissioner, Kathryn Stone. She was awaiting the Electoral Commission report, and will also probably have wanted to see Geidt’s take before deciding whether to launch an inquiry of her own.

This could still be damaging to Johnson, given Stone has powers to recommend that sanctions be imposed on any MP found guilty of breaking the code of conduct, including for them to make an apology or be suspended from the Commons.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×