London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

UK decision on Covid jabs for children expected imminently

UK decision on Covid jabs for children expected imminently

Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation holds long discussion on the issue followed by a vote
A decision on extending Covid vaccinations to 12- to 15-year-olds is expected to be announced imminently, following days of increasing pressure on the government’s vaccinations watchdog to approve the idea.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) held a long discussion on the issue on Thursday, followed by a vote.

While officials and scientists would not comment before a formal announcement, which could come as early as Friday, ministers are known to be hugely keen to press ahead with the programme, with the bulk of English schools returning this week.

The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, said on Thursday he was waiting “with bated breath” for the JCVI’s verdict, which although advisory is seen as crucial to the government’s decision on the issue.

The NHS was “ready and eager” to start vaccinating older children, Williamson said, telling Times Radio it would be “incredibly reassuring for parents to realise that they have the opportunity to choose whether it’s right for their children to have a vaccination”.

A Department for Education source said officials had not yet been told about any decision.

The Department of Health and Social Care is also known to be very keen to start the vaccinations as soon as possible, pointing to established programmes for such age groups in the US and several European countries.

Late last week the department announced that it had asked the NHS for it to start in early September, pending JCVI approval, “to be ready to hit the ground running”.

With Scottish schools already returned and Covid infection rates rising rapidly – although scientists stress it is too early to definitively link the two – Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has also urged the JCVI to decide quickly.

The issue has proved a difficult one for the JCVI, with members having to weigh up not just the net health benefits to a cohort less likely to suffer from serious coronavirus ill-effects, but also whether the programme could affect other schools-based vaccination programmes. Data released last week showed that the number of teenagers in England getting vaccinated against some cancers, meningitis, septicaemia and other fatal conditions fell by 20% after the first lockdown last year.

However, increasing numbers of scientists appear to support Covid vaccinations for older children. Prof Lawrence Young, a virologist at Warwick University, said trials and evidence from other countries’ programmes had been reassuring.

“Vaccination will also reduce the ability of youngsters to spread the virus and will prevent the generation of new variants,” he said.

“Perhaps the most significant benefit of vaccinating this group is to protect their wellbeing by ensuring that there are no further disruptions to their education. This is much better, surely, than exposing children to infection and seeing what happens.”

A separate decision on a programme of third “booster” vaccines to be delivered in the autumn is, by contrast, not expected until next week at the earliest, as the JCVI is awaiting interim results from a trial about this.

Prof Saul Faust, of Southampton University, the chief investigator of the Cov-Boost study, which is looking at the effects of a third dose, said the JCVI “will have access to a limited, relevant dataset sometime next week”.

The JCVI announced on Wednesday that it had approved third injections to about 500,000 people with notably weakened immune systems. However, this was presented as not pre-empting booster jabs more generally.

If they are approved they are likely to be restricted to other more vulnerable groups, with Faust saying there was “certainly no urgency” to decide on boosters for healthy people.

The deputy chair of the JCVI, Prof Anthony Harnden of Oxford University, has already said the organisation was likely to approve booster injections in some form.

“I think it’s highly likely that there will be a booster programme,” he told the BBC. “It’s just a question of how we frame it. This will be decided over the next few weeks. I can’t definitively say that there will be, because we have not made that decision yet, but it is highly likely.”

Jeremy Hunt, the former health secretary who heads the Commons health and social care committee, has called for the UK to follow the example of Israel and widen any booster programme to all individuals eligible for a Covid vaccination.

Hunt told the Times: “I understand why there is an ethical debate about giving jabs to teenagers but surely Israel shows we should not be hanging around in getting booster jabs out to adults.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×