London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Switzerland Drops Money Laundering Case Involving Spain's Former King

Switzerland Drops Money Laundering Case Involving Spain's Former King

A Swiss private bank involved in the three-year criminal probe was convicted of a reporting failure and fined.

Geneva's chief prosecutor said on Monday he had closed a criminal investigation into allegations Spain's former king Juan Carlos laundered "illegal commission" payments from Saudi Arabia, due to insufficient evidence.

A Swiss private bank involved in the three-year criminal probe was convicted of a reporting failure and fined.

Prosecutor Yves Bertossa said he had established that Saudi Arabia had paid $100 million in August 2008 into an account opened a month before at Mirabaud private bank in the name of a Panamanian foundation whose beneficial owner was Juan Carlos.

But Bertossa said in a statement that he had been unable to prove a sufficient link with a contract awarded three years later to Spanish companies for a high-speed rail connection in Saudi Arabia.

The Spanish royal household declined to comment on the development. Juan Carlos, who is living in exile in the United Arab Emirates, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Through his lawyer, Juan Carlos has previously declined to comment on the various allegations of wrongdoing against him. The former king's Geneva asset manager was quoted in court documents as testifying that a Saudi ambassador had described the funds as a "pure gift".

Bertossa said he had opened the criminal investigation in 2018, following news reports that the former king, who abdicated in 2014, may have received "illegal commissions" linked to the contracts and stashed the funds in Swiss accounts.

"The investigation has established that Juan Carlos I did, in fact, receive $100 million on the Lucum foundation account at Mirabaud & Cie SA in Geneva, from the Saudi finance ministry on Aug. 8, 2008," Bertossa said.

The use of a foundation and offshore accounts by various protagonists in the case had showed a "willingness to dissimulate", but he had been unable to sufficiently prove the relation between the Saudi payment and the contract for the rail link between Medina and Mecca, he said.

CHARGES DISMISSED


Additional payments of nearly $9 million from Kuwait and Bahrain were received on accounts held by Juan Carlos and his German-born former lover, Corinna Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, Bertossa said. She received the balance of 65 million euros ($73.3 million) from the Mirabaud account, which was closed in June 2012 and the funds transferred to her account in Bahamas, the prosecutor added.

Charges handed down against four accused, whom court documents show included the asset manager, a lawyer and a banker, as well as Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, for alleged "aggravated money-laundering" were dismissed, Bertossa said. Juan Carlos was not among the five indicted suspects, which also included the bank ,charged with failure to report an account's unusual activity under the money-laundering law.

"Today I have finally been cleared of wrongdoing of any kind in the three-year investigation conducted by the Swiss prosecutor," Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein said in a statement sent to Reuters.

"My innocence was evident at the outset and this episode has served to harm me further as part of the ongoing abuse campaign against me by certain Spanish interests."

"The principal wrongdoers, meanwhile, have not been investigated and have been given time to conceal their activities. They remain unaccountable," she said.

Mirabaud bank was fined 50,000 Swiss francs ($54,100) for having failed to report Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's account and its unusual activity of funds received from the foundation owned by the former king, the prosecutor's statement said.

The bank said in a statement it welcomed the closure of the criminal proceedings. It said its alleged violation of a duty to report did not concern the account linked to the former Spanish king and it had developed and strengthened its internal procedures since.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×