London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Feb 16, 2026

‘Scandalous betrayal’: MPs condemn P&O Ferries for mass sacking of 800 staff

Ministers and unions call for action against transport company’s Dubai owners

Ministers and trade unions have condemned P&O Ferries’ mass sacking of 800 British seafarers to replace them with agency crew as shameful and “completely unacceptable”, amid furious calls for action against the company’s Dubai owners.

P&O Ferries’ services could be suspended for up to 10 days, disrupting its cross-Channel and Irish Sea routes, after an extraordinary day in which the operator sacked its entire British seafaring staff without notice. They learned the news of their redundancy via a pre-recorded video message this morning.

Politicians on both sides called on the government to act to stop what Labour and trade unions called a “scandalous betrayal”.

Staff were told by P&O to discharge passengers and freight before being sent a video message telling them P&O “vessels will be primarily crewed by a third-party crew provider … Your final day of employment is today.”


Long-serving crew were removed from ships by security guards in Dover, Kent, and in Larne, near Belfast. Replacement agency workers, typically a cheaper option and believed to have been recruited in the UK and Europe, had already boarded some vessels in Dover on Thursday afternoon.

Unions had instructed members to stay onboard as they demanded urgent government intervention, but by the evening the potential for prolonged standoffs ended, when crew in Hull left their ship. Earlier, the Dutch captain of P&O’s Pride of Hull had supported crew who refused to leave.


In Dover, one 46-year-old crew member of 30 years’ service, said he was worried about how he would support his family. He said: “There were grown men in tears worrying what to do about their mortgages. We’ve been treated abysmally. This was planned for ages; it’s not off the hoof.”

Legal experts raised questions about whether there had been a breach of employment laws, which stipulate that any employer planning to sack more than 100 staff must give ministers 45 days’ notice. The government said it was given no notice of the plans. The prime minister’s spokesperson said: “The way these workers were informed was completely unacceptable. Clearly the way that this was communicated to staff was not right and we have made that clear.”

The RMT union’s general secretary, Mick Lynch, said it was seeking urgent legal action over “one of the most shameful acts in the history of British industrial relations”.

Speaking in the Commons, Robert Courts echoed Downing Street’s condemnation of the manner in which P&O crew were fired, saying he was “extremely concerned and frankly angry at the treatment”.

The maritime minister added: “Reports of workers being given zero notice and being escorted off their ships while being told that cheaper alternatives will take up their roles shows the insensitive way P&O have approached this issue.”

But he stopped short of describing the action as illegal or promising any action, saying: “Their finances are a matter for them alone.”

Courts said the supply of critical goods and services should not be affected by the temporary suspension of P&O’s ferries on the Dover-Calais crossing, as well as from Hull to Rotterdam, Liverpool to Dublin, and Cairnryan to Larne, which he said could last a week to 10 days.

The shadow transport secretary, Louise Haigh, said P&O Ferries’ dismissals, including the use of “handcuffed-trained security, some wearing balaclavas, marching British crew off their ships” were “the actions of thugs”.

She said it was a scandal that a Dubai-owned company, which had taken British taxpayers’ money during the Covid pandemic, should act in such a way, and demanded the government review DP World’s contracts, including to run freeports in the UK.

DP World, one of the largest port operators in the world, is owned by Dubai’s sovereign wealth fund, and chaired by Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, who also heads Dubai’s customs authority. The group owns London Gateway port – the centrepiece of the first of the controversial freeports championed by the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and established by the government last year.

P&O Ferries was given £33m in emergency support by the UK government to ensure freight kept sailing in May 2020, and it also furloughed 1,100 staff with taxpayer help.

Conservative MPs joined calls for the government to act. Huw Merriman, the transport select committee chair, said: “The government must do everything it can – including tabling emergency legislation if needed – to ensure that this appalling employment transaction cannot be completed.”

The Dover MP, Natalie Elphicke, urged the minister to discuss “what more could be done to hold DP World and P&O Ferries to account for their disgraceful behaviour”.

The Scottish first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, said she was deeply concerned at the news.

A spokesperson for P&O Ferries said it had to take a “very difficult but necessary decision” to “secure the future viability of our business, which employs an additional 2,200 people, and supports billions in trade in and out of the UK”.

They said P&O Ferries was not a viable business in its current state. “We have made a £100m loss year-on-year, which has been covered by our parent [company] DP World. This is not sustainable. Our survival is dependent on making swift and significant changes now.”

The maritime union Nautilus International said the news was “a betrayal of British workers”. The head of the European seafarers’ union ETF, Livia Spera, said it was “astonishing that this can happen in a major developed country like the UK”.

P&O initially told customers on Twitter that services would be “unable to run for the next few hours” and that port teams would arrange travel via an alternative operator.

Cross-Channel ferry passengers and truck drivers were expected to be diverted to DFDS or Eurotunnel services. Passengers on Irish Sea crossings have been sent to Stena Line.

But a number of passengers were left stranded and unable to rebook immediately on alternative services on Thursday morning. A driver in Calais due to return to the UK told the PA Media news agency he had been waiting for a ferry since 6am, adding: “More than anything I’m frustrated at the fact nobody from P&O was there to help and advise. I’ve never had such shoddy service from anybody.”

DP World bought P&O Ferries for a second time in 2019, for £322m, after selling it earlier in the decade.

The business is believed to have been making escalating losses, with the rising cost of diesel adding to disruption from Covid and post-Brexit paperwork in cross-Channel traffic. DP World said it had never taken a dividend from P&O Ferries.

DP World has also come under fire for a £146m deficit in the Merchant Navy Ratings pension fund, which includes retired P&O crew. Sources said the taxpayer could be liable for the shortfall if it was left unpaid.

DP World last year agreed to sponsor the European golf tour – at a cost of £147m.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Comment on European allies report blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using toxin from poison dart frogs
Eighty-Year-Old Lottery Winner Sentenced to 16.5 Years for Drug Trafficking
UK Quran Burner May Receive Asylum in the US Amid Legal Challenges
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Poland's President Advocates for Evaluating Independent Nuclear Weapons Development
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Mayor of Serdobsk in Russia’s Penza Region Resigns After Housing Certificates Granted to Migrant Family Trigger Public Outcry
Pentagon Reviews Anthropic Partnership After Claude AI Reportedly Used in Operation Targeting Nicolás Maduro
President Donald Trump and Hip-Hop’s Political Realignment: Pardons, Public Endorsements, and the Struggle Over Cultural Influence
China’s EV Makers Face Mandatory Return to Physical Buttons and Door Handles in Driver-Distraction Safety Overhaul
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
‘Amelia’: The UK Government’s Anti-Extremism Game Villain Who Became a Protest Symbol
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Walmart's Earnings and UK Economic Data Highlight Upcoming Financial Trends
UK Green Party Considering Proposal to Legalize Heroin for an Inclusive Society
SpaceX's New Vision: Lunar City Takes Precedence Over Mars Colonization
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
We will protect them from the digital Wild West.’ Another country will ban social media for under-16s
McDonald's Shortens Breakfast Hours in Australia Due to Egg Shortage
Heineken announces cut of 6,000 jobs due to declining beer demand
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick acknowledges 2012 visit to Jeffrey Epstein’s private island as lawmakers scrutinise past ties
Helsing and Stark Defence loitering-munition drones and Germany’s race to industrialise battlefield autonomy
UK orders deletion of Courtsdesk court-data archive, reigniting the fight over who controls public justice records
UK Police Review Fresh Claims Involving Prince Andrew as Senior Royals Respond to Epstein Files
Keir Starmer’s Premiership Faces Unprecedented Strain as Epstein Fallout Deepens
Starmer Vows to Stay in Office as UK Government Faces Turmoil After Epstein Fallout
China and UK Signal Tentative Reset with Commitment to Steadier, Professionally Managed Relations
UK Confirms Imminent Increase in ETA Fee to £20 as Entry Rules Tighten
UK Signals Possible Seizure of Russia-Linked ‘Shadow Fleet’ Tanker in Escalation of Sanctions Enforcement
Epstein Scandal Piles Unprecedented Pressure on UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Leadership
UK’s ‘Most Romantic Village’ Celebrates Valentine’s Day and Explores the Festival’s Rich History
The Implications of Expanding Voting Rights to Non-EU Foreign Residents in France
Ghislaine Maxwell to Testify Before US Congress on February 9
Al.com Acquired by Crypto.com Founder for $70 Million
Apple iPhone Lockdown Mode blocks FBI data access in journalist device seizure
Belgium: Man Charged with Rape After Faking Payment to Sex Worker
KPMG Urges Auditor to Relay AI Cost Savings
US and Iran to Begin Nuclear Talks in Oman
Winklevoss-Led Gemini to Slash a Quarter of Jobs and Exit European and Australian Markets
×