London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Rafiq 'driven out of country' by threats and abuse

Rafiq 'driven out of country' by threats and abuse

Azeem Rafiq says he has "been driven out of the country" by "threats and abuse" since "opening his heart out" about racism at Yorkshire.

Speaking to the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, as he did at the end of 2021, Rafiq said media coverage had fuelled threats to his family.

The 31-year-old spoke of a man "defecating" in his garden as well as abuse received in the street.

"At times I've walked down the street fearing for my life," Rafiq said.

The former Yorkshire spinner told MPs in 2021 that English cricket was "institutionally" racist, having said in 2020 that abuse at the club had left him close to taking his own life.

In October, Rafiq said "a never-ending, co-ordinated campaign of lies" had "caused serious risk" to his family's safety after he was accused of anti-Semitism and homophobia in a Daily Mail report.

In his latest appearance at a parliamentary committee hearing, Rafiq said he now receives "24/7 security" from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and spoke about how the Yorkshire Post's coverage of the story "should be held responsible for" the abuse he and his family have experienced since.

"Every time there's an article it's created a wave of online abuse," he said.

"I don't feel like at any point they [the Yorkshire Post] have had any balance. If I was to pick one reason why all this has happened, unfortunately I would have to say it is the Yorkshire Post's writing.

"Moving abroad is not an easy thing, especially when you've got ill parents."

The Yorkshire Post told BBC Sport in a statement that it "applied the same rules of objectivity, impartiality and professionalism in seeking to tell all sides of the story".

The ECB said the evidence heard in the committee hearing "demonstrates why widespread change in cricket is needed" adding that it is "committed" to "lasting cultural change".


'Cricket is in denial'


Since Rafiq spoke out there have been changes in Yorkshire's leadership, with several current and former players and coaches reprimanded.

Rafiq suggested an independent regulator was needed for cricket, saying the ECB had "been involved in the leaking and planting" of stories about him, adding that the governing body "has tried to discredit" his experiences.

He said that "it all feels very superficial at the top" and that "cricket is in denial", adding: "There is still a group of people out there that feel like cricket is the victim in this.

"The way I have been attacked and abused - why would you speak out?"

Earlier in October, Rafiq was among five current and former players reprimanded by the ECB for historical social media posts of a racist nature. Rafiq had previously apologised for a Facebook exchange from 2011 containing anti-Semitic messages.

"I have made mistakes in my life," he said.

"One of the things that came out was anti-Semitic messages I have made. I did exactly what I have asked others to do, which is to apologise and admit, try and make some learnings as to why I made those comments."

In a lengthy statement, the Yorkshire Post's editorial director James Mitchinson said: "The scurrilous and unfounded allegations made to today's DCMS select committee, referring to myself, The Yorkshire Post and my staff in relation to Mr Rafiq's experiences of racist bullying whilst playing for Yorkshire County Cricket Club, I reject absolutely.

"From the moment Mr Rafiq blew the whistle on the racist abuse he was unquestionably subjected to - The Yorkshire Post has repeatedly acknowledged as much - whilst playing for Yorkshire County Cricket Club, we have applied the same rules of objectivity, impartiality and professionalism in seeking to tell all sides of the story, including, but not limited to, the experiences of those individuals who were dismissed, accused of being racists, who remain intent on clearing their names. That is what our readers expect of us, and that is what we will continue to do.

"I am pleased Mr Rafiq acknowledged that during the course of documenting this scandal, I picked up the phone to him in order to ensure I had taken every possible step to understand personally his experience and reflected it in our coverage.

"From a personal perspective, one that I was not afforded the privilege of airing to the DCMS, I know I will be able to look back with absolute conviction that on every step of the way, we as a team have sought to tell everyone's truth when others have not given them that opportunity.

"I have to say, I am disappointed - but not surprised - that The Yorkshire Post's brand of fearless journalism, editorially courageous even in the face of deeply contentious and complex issues, has been attacked by powerful people today.

"Those who believe in a free press, empowered to always get to the truth, should be deeply worried by the unsuccessful attempt to undermine The Yorkshire Post.

"Finally, I want to reassure Mr Rafiq that I could not have taken more ownership of nor applied more due diligence to editing this story, and I remain committed to listening to and telling all sides of it with honesty, integrity and impartiality."


'Things need to change' - Lord Patel
Lord Patel was appointed as Yorkshire chair in November 2021


Yorkshire chairman Lord Patel, who was appointed last year after Roger Hutton resigned over the club's response to the racism scandal, read out a racist letter the club had received and said he has a "bag full" of similar correspondence sent since Rafiq first spoke out.

Since Lord Patel took over, an independent whistleblowing hotline for victims of discrimination has been opened and structural reforms at the club have meant Headingley can now host internationals again.

But Lord Patel said his job has felt "relentless" since taking over, adding: "I don't get where Azeem gets the strength to carry on.

"The way things are needs to change. This is sport - it's something we enjoy and it brings people together.

"This has been a very concerted attack - I don't think people understand it. I don't think the ECB have got it. We've got to look at the whole culture of cricket and get under the skin.

"We're on a very long journey. A lot of people are going to have to get off the bus on the way. The way things are needs to change."

The ECB said it was "appalled at the level of racist abuse" received by Lord Patel and that it recognises "the pain this has caused him".

Lord Patel also said women have been "forgotten" within Yorkshire.

"Our women's team don't have their own changing room - that's going to change," he added.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×