Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
No one was injured in the attack outside the Royal Shalimar in Sparkbrook, while police say three suspects fled in a white Volkswagen Golf and have not established a motive.
Police are hunting three men after two luxury cars were deliberately set on fire outside a wedding celebration in Birmingham, where incendiary devices were thrown close to guests on Wednesday evening.
The attack happened at about 8:30 p.m. on August 19 outside the Royal Shalimar venue on Highgate Road in Sparkbrook, one of the city's most densely populated inner-city districts.
No injuries were reported.
CCTV footage circulating from the scene shows three figures dressed in dark clothing on the opposite side of the road before flaming projectiles are thrown towards the venue and a line of parked cars.
Guests can be seen moving rapidly away as fires erupt on the pavement and around the vehicles.
One person appears to kick a burning object away, while venue staff used fire extinguishers to tackle the flames before firefighters arrived.
Two cars were set alight.
They have been widely identified as a Lamborghini and a McLaren, although West Midlands Police has publicly confirmed the destruction of two vehicles rather than their exact makes and models.
Some early accounts identified one of the cars differently, making caution appropriate when describing the vehicles.
Several accounts based on footage from the scene say five petrol bombs were involved, with three landing near people outside the building and two directed towards the cars.
Police have not publicly confirmed the precise number of incendiary devices.
Witness accounts indicated that a young child was among those close to the attack, highlighting how easily an incident that damaged property could have caused serious injuries.
West Midlands Police said three men were seen running down Mole Street immediately after the fires before getting into a white Volkswagen Golf and driving away.
Detectives have been interviewing witnesses and examining CCTV as they try to identify those responsible.
No arrests had been announced in the latest confirmed information.
West Midlands Fire Service said firefighters were called shortly after 8:30 p.m. after two vehicles were deliberately set alight.
A crew from nearby Highgate fire station attended, one vehicle was made safe and nobody was trapped or injured.
Firefighters left the incident at 9:07 p.m.
The attack took place while a large wedding celebration was under way.
Accounts from the scene put attendance at roughly 500 people, although that figure has not been independently confirmed by police.
Royal Shalimar said its staff responded immediately and worked with the emergency services, adding that the venue itself was not damaged and continued operating normally.
What is not established is equally important.
There is no confirmed police evidence that the incident was a war between rival Pakistani gangs, that the three attackers were Pakistani, or that the attack resulted from a dispute between Pakistani families.
Those descriptions have circulated online, but the ethnicity of the attackers and the motive for the firebombing have not been established by investigators.
Police have not publicly linked the attack to an organised-crime group, an ethnic conflict, terrorism or a specific family dispute.
That distinction matters because video of the attack rapidly became the basis for broader claims about Birmingham's Pakistani community and policing in Britain.
The footage confirms a serious and potentially lethal act of violence; it does not by itself establish who the attackers were, why they acted or what relationship, if any, they had with the people attending the wedding.
Those questions remain part of the criminal investigation.
The immediate police inquiry is focused on identifying the three suspects, tracing the white Volkswagen Golf and collecting additional CCTV, mobile-phone or witness evidence from Highgate Road and surrounding streets.
West Midlands Police has asked anyone with information to contact the force, as investigators work to establish both the identities of the attackers and the motive behind an assault that came within metres of wedding guests but, despite the flames and extensive vehicle damage, caused no reported injuries.