London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Matt Hancock ‘was warned of Covid care home risk in March 2020’

Matt Hancock ‘was warned of Covid care home risk in March 2020’

Exclusive: leading UK operators say they repeatedly raised concerns about not testing people discharged from hospital
Some of the UK’s biggest care home operators have told the Guardian they repeatedly warned Matt Hancock’s department about the risk of not testing people discharged from hospitals into care homes in March 2020.

Their claims are likely to increase pressure on the health secretary when he appears before MPs on Thursday to defend his handling of the Covid pandemic to a parliamentary inquiry.

Care England, which represents the largest private chains where thousands of people died in the first months of the virus, told the Guardian it raised “the lack of testing in hospitals and in the care sector” several times in correspondence with the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) as well as NHS England in late March 2020.

The Care Provider Alliance also called on the government to prioritise testing for care residents to stop the spread of the virus, warning on 26 March 2020 that without it “there is no way of knowing whether they are going to infect others”.

It also emailed Hancock directly saying: “All people discharged from hospital to social care settings … MUST be tested before discharge.”

Yet despite the pressure from frontline care operators, Hancock didn’t make testing for hospital discharges mandatory until mid-April, after the first wave death toll had peaked weeks later.

The care homes issue is likely to be a key focus of questions when Hancock faces cross-examination from MPs on the combined health and social care and science and technology committee inquiry on Thursday.

Hancock’s testimony comes two weeks after Dominic Cummings, the prime minister’s former adviser, accused him of serial incompetence that should have led him to be sacked.

He also alleged Hancock had in effect misled Downing Street into believing that testing on patients being sent to back to care homes was being carried out when it wasn’t.

Hancock denies this, saying that his position was that hospital discharges would be tested only when enough testing became available.

The UK already had capacity for 10,000 daily tests at the start of April 2020. Between 17 March and 15 April, when tests were finally required before admission into care homes, about 25,000 people were discharged from hospitals into facilities, the National Audit Office has found.

Pete Calveley, the chief executive of Barchester, which lost 1,100 residents to Covid over the pandemic, told the Guardian that in March and April “we were saying absolutely no one should be discharged from hospital without a negative test” and that message was conveyed to the DHSC via Care England.

Representatives of smaller care home groups also said they were “consistently” urging testing of discharges earlier on when it was not happening.

“To officials and the minister for care we were saying that people were being discharged out of hospitals into care homes untested,” said Nadra Ahmed, the chair of the National Care Association, which represents independent care providers.

“We were raising the issue with the department on a regular basis. One of our questions was, ‘What are you doing after you test someone [before they are discharged]. Are they in an isolation wing?’”

Cummings told the select committee inquiry last month that “we were assured that the people who were being sent out would be tested” and that “it was only in April after the prime minister and I had both ourselves been ill, that we realised that what we were told would happen never did happen, or only happened very partially and sporadically.”

However, only weeks later, on 13 May, Johnson told the Commons: “We had a system of testing people going into care homes.”

The issue of testing has become highly charged and Hancock is facing a high court hearing in October over an allegation from a bereaved relative of a deceased care home resident that the government breached the Human Rights Act and the Equality Act when their policies allowed people to be discharged into care homes without being tested.

The government last month produced figures which suggest only 1.6% of care home outbreaks in the first six months of the pandemic were caused by infected people being discharged from hospitals. They imply that transmission from the community was a far greater cause of the devastation in social care. But the data has been dismissed by care operators, which point out that only some people were being tested so it is impossible to know that.

Calveley, who said two-thirds of his 240 care homes were infected, added: “It beggars belief to say it wasn’t the residents coming back and it must have been staff, because no one was being tested.”

He said that Barchester homes with block bookings to take hospital discharges had outbreaks and that hospitals sent residents back in ambulances unannounced, sometimes with Covid symptoms.

A DHSC spokesperson said that in February 2020 “the scientific understanding did not suggest asymptomatic individuals posed a significant risk in terms of transmission. Those with symptoms would have been tested on admission or during a hospital stay and were isolated accordingly.”

They added: “Further guidance was issued on 19 March 2020 setting out how we would continue to support the safe and timely discharge of people who no longer needed to stay in hospital. Throughout this time, government worked tirelessly to build a national testing system from scratch, the result of which is that everybody who needs a test can now get one.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
UK Competition Watchdog Flags Concerns Over Proposed Getty Images–Shutterstock Merger
Trump Reasserts Opposition to UK Chagos Islands Proposal, Urges Stronger Strategic Alignment
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis advocates for a ban on minors using social media.
Liberal Senator Michaelia Cash Accuses Prime Minister of Lying to Australians
Meanwhile in Time Square, NYC One of the most famous landmarks
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
A Lunar New Year event in Taiwan briefly came to a halt after a temple official standing beside President Lai Ching‑te suddenly vomited, splashing Lai’s clothing
Jillian Michaels reveals Bill Gates’ $55 million investment in mRNA vaccines turned into over $1 billion.
Ex-Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrested
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Four Chagos Islanders Establish Permanent Settlement on Atoll
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
UK Inflation Slows Sharply in January, Strengthening Case for Bank of England Rate Cut
Hide the truth, fake the facts, pretend the opposite, Britain is as usual
France President Macron says Free Speech is Bull Sh!t
Viktor Orbán getting massive praise for keeping Hungary safe, rich and migrant-free!
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
Former Reform UK Councillors Form New Local Group Amid Party Fragmentation
Reform UK Pledges to Retain Britain’s Budget Watchdog as It Seeks Broader Economic Credibility
×