London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Man Utd & Liverpool owners apologise

Man Utd & Liverpool owners apologise

Manchester United co-chairman Joel Glazer says the club "apologise unreservedly for the unrest" caused by the proposed European Super League.

The rare public comment from the American came after Liverpool owner John W Henry apologised to supporters.

United, Liverpool and four other Premier League sides withdrew from the ESL on Tuesday after a backlash.

"We failed to show enough respect for its deep-rooted traditions," Glazer said in an open letter to fans.

The 50-year-old admitted efforts "in seeking to create a more stable foundation for the game" did not honour the conventions of promotion and relegation within the wider football pyramid.

"For that we are sorry," he said. "This is the world's greatest football club and we apologise unreservedly for the unrest caused during these past few days.

"Manchester United has a rich heritage and we recognise our responsibility to live up to its great traditions and values."

BBC Sport's Simon Stone said: "It is rare indeed for Glazer to speak about United. He has done one interview with MUTV at the time of the takeover in 2005 - and that is it."

Glazer said they will work to "rebuild relationships" across football "with a view to working together on solutions to the long-term challenges facing the football pyramid".

"We also realise that we need to better communicate with you, our fans, because you will always be at the heart of the club," he continued.

The Duke of Cambridge, who is president of the Football Association, said in a tweet that he is pleased that football supporters' opposition to the ESL had been "heard and listened to".


Earlier on Wednesday, Henry took sole responsibility for the "unnecessary negativity", saying: "In this endeavour I've let you down.

"The project put forward was never going to stand without the support of the fans.

"Over these 48 hours you were very clear that it would not stand. We heard you. I heard you."

Ferran Soriano, chief executive of Premier League leaders Manchester City - another of the English clubs involved in the proposal - apologised in an email to the club's supporters.

"We failed to remind ourselves of the unbreakable link between the passion of our fans and the right to have the opportunity to earn success. It is a truth that is fundamental to the DNA of Manchester City and the board deeply regrets taking a decision that lost sight of the historic values of the club," he said.

"We made a mistake and we sincerely apologise to our fans for the disappointment, frustration and anguish caused by the last 72 hours."


In other developments on Wednesday:

*  Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli admitted the project could not proceed after the Premier League clubs withdrew.

*  AC Milan, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid followed suit, taking the total withdrawals to nine.

*  Rival managers, chairmen and officials called for tighter regulations and possible punishments for the six English clubs.

Before Liverpool's statement confirming the club's withdrawal, captain Jordan Henderson had said on social media his side's "collective position" was that they did not want the breakaway to go ahead.

"We don't like it and we don't want it to happen," read a message that was also posted by many fellow Liverpool players.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp and midfielder James Milner also voiced their opposition to the plans after their Premier League game at Leeds on Monday.

In a video released by Liverpool,

Henry also apologised to Klopp, the players and chief executive Billy Hogan, promising to do all he could to win back the supporters' trust.

"They have absolutely no responsibility for this disruption," added Henry. "They were the most disrupted, and unfairly so. This is what hurts most. They love your club and work to make you proud every single day."


'It was nearly the worst idea I ever heard'


Manchester United Supporters' Trust chief executive Duncan Drasdo told BBC Sport: "Driven from the Manchester United owners, it has tarnished the club. It has been damaged and there's been huge damage to the relationship with owners at a lot of these clubs and in some cases irreparable and they will need to do something to try to turn that around. "

In a statement, Liverpool supporters group Spirit of Shankly said Henry's apology was a "PR exercise" that was "too little, too late". It added: "We need a fundamental change in football governance. One that is fair for the whole football pyramid, not just the rapacious elite."

Former Liverpool winger John Barnes went as far as suggesting a salary cap needed to be introduced to ensure "a level playing field" for every team in the Premier League.

The Chelsea Supporters Trust (CST) say they have "little or no confidence" in the club's board after its involvement in the ESL and said the positions of chairman Bruce Buck and chief executive Guy Laurence were "untenable".

In their statement CST also say Buck defended the Super League to fans during a forum on Monday evening. The club withdrew its plans to join the Super League 24 hours later after witnessing the negative reaction from supporters and fears about the reputational damage it could do to the club.

But the CST statement said: "We are disappointed that an apology has not been included in the statement. The legacy of our club was put at risk for what appears to have been solely for financial gain."

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl said: "I think it was nearly the worst idea I ever heard. It underestimated the power of the fans and how much they love football and it is for everybody. We are all happy the first battle is won but I think it is not over yet. "

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish told BBC Breakfast the ESL plans were an "attempted coup" and added: "What Uefa need to do is start looking after the game and stop pandering to these people and trying desperately to keep them inside the tent because they're going to be inside the tent now whatever happens."

Brighton chief executive Paul Barber said the rules needed to be "tightened significantly" to make sure this never happened again.

When asked whether the six English clubs should be punished with points deductions, he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that was "certainly something the Premier League and Football Association need to look at".

West Brom manager Sam Allardyce said the idea of a Super League had merely been put on hold and without "better protection" we would see similar proposals "again and again".

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×