London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

3 top Hong Kong officials admit breaking Covid-19 social-distancing rules

3 top Hong Kong officials admit breaking Covid-19 social-distancing rules

Customs boss Hermes Tang, immigration head Au Ka-wang and Undersecretary for Security Sonny Au say they violated four-person gathering limit at luxury clubhouse.

Three top Hong Kong officials have admitted they broke social-distancing rules while attending a dinner at a luxury clubhouse earlier this year, after media leaks and pressure from lawmakers forced them to come clean.

In another twist to the scandal, sources revealed on Thursday that police had discovered the violation of health safety rules amid the Covid-19 pandemic
while investigating a complaint by a woman who attended the dinner that she had been sexually assaulted at home later that night.

Commissioner of Customs and Excise Hermes Tang Yi-hoi, Director of Immigration Au Ka-wang and Undersecretary for Security Sonny Au Chi-kwong admitted late on Thursday they were among the guests at the private event in Wan Chai on March 2.

Hermes Tang, commissioner of customs and excise.


Sources told the Post that nine people had each been fined HK$5,000 (US$643) for violating the four-person limit on public gatherings enacted to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

A senior executive of a mainland Chinese company was also said to have attended.

Lawmakers urged the officials to further reassure the public that they would do their jobs with integrity in the future, also reminding them that other government figures involved in similar transgressions overseas had resigned to take responsibility.

The scandal has touched a nerve among the public because of the strict adherence to social-distancing rules that the government has been enforcing, banning all protests as part of pandemic control.

Au Ka-wang, director of immigration.


A police source said the dinner guest list was discovered when officers from the organised crime and triad bureau were investigating the attempted rape case. The complaint was made on March 3 by a woman who attended the dinner, and was allegedly assaulted at home later that night.

Police arrested a local man in connection with the case and charged him with one count of attempted rape.

In a statement issued on Thursday night, Au Ka-wang said: “I confirm that I have attended a dinner hosted at a catering premises earlier and was issued a fixed-penalty notice for failing to meet the maximum persons allowed rule as required in the Prevention and Control of Disease Ordinance.

“This fine has been paid. I will exercise particular caution when attending events in the future and will be sure to meet with the requirement.”

He added: “Regarding media reports that alleged the dinner was involved with a criminal case, I must clarify that the dinner was not involved in the aforesaid criminal case. In view that the legal proceedings of the case are ongoing, I will not comment further.”

Tang and Sonny Au also admitted as much in similar statements.

Sonny Au, undersecretary for security.


Several officials overseas such as British health secretary Matt Hancock, Scotland’s chief medical officer Catherine Calderwood and New Zealand health minister David Clark have resigned over breaching Covid-19 rules.

Pro-establishment lawmaker Paul Tse Wai-chun referenced such cases as he took local officials to task for the embarrassing breach of health safety protocol.

“Matt Hancock resigned for breaking the rules, and Hong Kong’s senior officials have been stressing the importance of law and order, and fighting the pandemic,” he said.

“If this happened in mainland China, officials would be apologising … especially when Chinese authorities have warned against this kind of closed-door banquets.”

Localist lawmaker Cheng Chung-tai warned the violations reflected poorly on the disciplined services.

“Was it because of the guests’ positions that the club offered a favour and allowed the banquet to go on? The integrity of the disciplined services is at stake,” he said.

“President Xi Jinping said officials must be clean and graft-free. This incident is an embarrassment to Beijing.”

Cheng urged Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung to provide a further explanation.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×