London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong: hotels offer at least 1,000 rooms for quarantine, as Hong Kong starts isolating new arrivals

Hong Kong: hotels offer at least 1,000 rooms for quarantine, as Hong Kong starts isolating new arrivals

At least 14 hotels have offered to house people under mandatory orders, industry representative says. Meanwhile, a doctors’ group warns that isolating people in their own homes is ‘absolutely not ideal’ and risks infecting the community

At least 14 hotels have offered a minimum of 1,000 rooms for travellers arriving in Hong Kong to stay in during mandatory quarantine, an industry representative said, as medical experts called on the government to stop the coronavirus spreading in the community by barring people from isolating at home.

This came as the city confirmed 16 new cases on Thursday, taking the total to 208, including four deaths.

Travellers to the city had rushed to immigration checkpoints before midnight on Wednesday, after which all passengers from overseas would be put under mandatory home-quarantine. They would have to wear an electronic wristband which would alert the authorities should they leave home within the 14-day quarantine period.

Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan Siu-chee said officials would start randomly testing incoming travellers – even those without symptoms – for the virus, which causes the deadly illness Covid-19 and has infected more than 200,000 people worldwide.

Medical experts have called on the government to adopt more drastic measures, such as putting quarantined people into hotels and even barring all foreign arrivals from the city.

Yiu Si-wing, who represents the tourism industry in the legislature, said 14 hotels had informed him they were willing to offer at least 1,000 rooms in total for the quarantine arrangement, mostly smaller two- or three-star properties.

He suggested the government should support the initiative by offering a guarantee that 70 per cent of the hotels’ rooms would be occupied. If the occupancy rate was lower than that, the government should pay a certain amount to cover it, he said.

“The arrangement is rather simple, as hotel staff only need to place food and utilities outside the room doors,” he said, adding that the government should liaise with the hotels, clear all rooms, standardise the arrangements and consider sending the Civil Aid Service to help.



He said travellers would need to pay for the accommodation, but most of the hotels which volunteered would only charge HK$200 to HK$300 a night.

L’hotel Island in Aberdeen had since January offered about one-third of its 432 rooms for those who undergoing voluntary and compulsory quarantine and had taken 300 bookings, general manager Winnie Woo Wing-yi said.

She said there had been 30 to 40 inquiries each day this year for rooms from people who were returning from overseas and faced a 14-day compulsory quarantine.

“Other than students who just came back from abroad as our guests, we have some parents who prefer staying with the hotel and letting their returning kids stay at home for their mandatory quarantine,” she said.

As of Thursday, 60 rooms had been taken by people quarantining themselves but the hotel’s 170 staff would not come into close contact with them, she added.

Woo declined to reveal the room rate, but its website had prices of about HK$450 per night.

Dr Leung Chi-chiu, of the Medical Council, said the home-quarantine arrangement was “absolutely not ideal” considering the outbreaks in Europe and America.

“As many are students studying abroad … if they return home for quarantine, there are risks of affecting elders at home who are more vulnerable to the virus,” he said, adding that the elderly might then carry the contagion to the community.

He said it would be better for travellers to stay in hotels, calling on the government to liaise with the industry, which had been badly hit by the city’s recent tourism woes.

In the airport arrivals hall, one resident, who declined to be named, landed on a flight earlier than the scheduled 11.50pm on Wednesday. “I needed to run to the [identity-check] gates – not exaggerating. I was worrying that I would be isolated if I made it after 12am,” he said.

The man said he would still stay at home and would not return to work, as he was not sure whether he would show symptoms.
Another Hongkonger, surnamed Tsang, who considered herself lucky to have beaten the cut-off for mandatory quarantine, said she would stay indoors for a week after returning from Kuala Lumpur.

“Being able to skip the [mandatory quarantine] was good but I will still stay at home just in case I have problems … it would be very selfish if I went out,” she said.

But one traveller, who flew in from Melbourne, was disappointed to have missed the midnight deadline after arranging an earlier flight than planned to skip the 14-day quarantine. In the end, he said he landed at 3am after the flight was delayed by six hours.

On Thursday morning, almost all travellers were wearing masks, some even donning raincoats and eye shields. The arrangements for filling in health declaration forms, putting on monitoring bracelets and undergoing immigration checks were generally smooth, according to some travellers, who said the whole process took about 15 minutes.

The new model of bracelet contains a QR code that pairs up with a smartphone app, which uses the strength of surrounding communication signals to determine whether the quarantined person has left the prescribed location – without capturing the wearer’s precise location.

Meanwhile in nearby Macau, the government started using a third hotel to quarantine new arrivals. Regency Art Hotel Macau, in Taipa, was expected to provide 326 rooms for the operation.

The city’s tourism office said that, because it views quarantining people in hotels as safer than using their homes, it would continue to do so despite the difficulty in convincing operators to take part.

Since late January, authorities in the casino hub have used a four-star hotel to quarantine tourists from Wuhan, in mainland China’s Hubei province, where the viral outbreak was first reported. Due to an overwhelming number of Macau residents returning home since then, a second hotel, with 300 rooms, was brought in on Tuesday.

Separately, the Hong Kong government announced that a flexibility arrangement on extending the expiring contracts of domestic helpers, first introduced in February, would continue. All contracts that expire on or before June 30 can be extended to July 31.

A government spokesman said the aim was to help employers whose helpers’ contracts were set to expire, but whose newly hired workers could not fly in because of travel restrictions.

He also reminded employers that newly arrived helpers should stay at home at all times to fulfil the compulsory quarantine requirement, and if they wished to arrange for the employees to stay elsewhere, prior arrangements should be made with their agents.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×