London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

With US ban on TikTok on the table, opponent of move warns of retaliation against American firms

With US ban on TikTok on the table, opponent of move warns of retaliation against American firms

President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign has started running Facebook ads warning about the Chinese-owned app. ‘Foreign tech companies should not be kept out of the US market because of rumours and innuendo,’ analyst says

As the Trump administration considers a ban on TikTok, the Chinese-owned short video app, an opponent of such a move says it would jeopardise US tech firms and global business norms.

“The US government should not ban TikTok simply because it is owned by a Chinese company,” said Daniel Castro, vice-president at the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF), a public policy think tank in Washington.

The idea of a ban has been gathering momentum. Over the weekend, US President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign ran Facebook ads warning about TikTok. This week, the House of Representatives plans to vote on a Republican-backed amendment in a national defence bill that would ban federal employees from downloading or using TikTok on any government device.

TikTok, which is owned by Beijing-based internet tech company ByteDance, has denied that it shares user data with China.


ITIF, which gets funding from Cisco and Google, among others, said in a statement that “if the US government has evidence to the contrary, it should share this information with lawmakers and the public”.

“However, foreign tech companies should not be kept out of the US market because of rumours and innuendo,” said Castro. “Doing so not only risks immediate retaliation for US companies, but it also would establish a global norm where countries are free to impose trade restrictions on digital goods and services for vague and undefined national security threats.”

TikTok has become a user sensation around the world, particularly among teenagers and young adults in the US. About 60 per cent of its 26.5 million monthly active users in the United States are between the ages of 16 and 24, the company said late last year.

As its popularity exploded, the company caught Washington’s attention at a time when the relationship between the two countries deteriorated. On the Hill, US lawmakers were concerned the Chinese company may be censoring politically sensitive content and could be obliged to send personal information to Beijing.

In October, Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer and Senator Tom Cotton, a Republican, asked Joseph Maguire, who was then acting director of national intelligence, to look into whether the app posed “national security risks”.

“Security experts have voiced concerns that China’s vague patchwork of intelligence, national security and cybersecurity laws compel Chinese companies to support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party,” they wrote.

“Given these concerns, we ask that the Intelligence Community conduct an assessment of the national security risks posed by TikTok and other China-based content platforms operating in the US and brief Congress on these findings,” they said.

Others in the US Congress cautioned against an outright ban.

“TikTok is a potential security menace, but banning TikTok hardly confronts the profound threat China poses to our national security, economy, & democracy,” Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut, tweeted on Saturday.

In November, the US government launched a national security review of ByteDance’s US$1 billion acquisition of US social media app Musical.ly, which was later renamed TikTok. The deal was completed in 2017.

Early this month, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US was “certainly” exploring a ban, citing concerns that the app has shared user data with the government in Beijing. Pompeo said people should use TikTok “only if you want your private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party”.

“I don’t want to get out in front of the president, but it’s something we’re looking at,” Pompeo told Fox News two weeks ago.
Morgan Ortagus, a State Department spokeswoman, said the administration “hasn’t hesitated if we think that there is a Chinese technology company that poses a particular threat like we have with Huawei or Hikvision”.

Pompeo, in his recent remarks, “was advocating for a more holistic look and view at Chinese technology companies and social media companies” and “how that affects American citizens”, said Ortagus.

TikTok has been dropped in other markets recently. Shortly before Pompeo’s comments, India banned it, along with other Chinese apps, after a border dispute between the two countries.

In early July, the company said it was leaving the Hong Kong market after Beijing approved a new national security law that critics say is the biggest threat to the city’s autonomy since the handover to Beijing in 1997.

In Monday’ s letter, ITIF’s Castro said: “TikTok has stated clearly and unambiguously that it has not and will not provide US user data to the Chinese government.”

“Instead, the US government should continue to push for better cybersecurity, effective regulatory enforcement, rule-based global data governance, and digital free trade.”




Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
×