London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Welsh museum to ‘RE-FRAME’ portrait of Waterloo hero Picton after African diaspora group complains

Welsh museum to ‘RE-FRAME’ portrait of Waterloo hero Picton after African diaspora group complains

A portrait of Welsh general Sir Thomas Picton has been removed from the Faces of Wales gallery at the National Museum Wales. The war hero’s life as governor of Trinidad was deemed an issue by the Sub-Sahara Advisory Panel.
On Tuesday, the Cardiff-based museum published a statement and video showing gallery workers taking down Sir Thomas Picton’s portrait from the institution’s Faces of Wales room. The picture will now be placed in storage, before being “being redisplayed and reinterpreted over the coming months.”

Picton, a three-star general who had been celebrated as a hero after his death at the Battle of Waterloo, was considered to have abused and mistreated slaves during his time as governor of Trinidad. During his lifetime, he was put on trial for approving the illegal torture of a 14-year-old girl. His conviction was eventually overturned by claiming Trinidad was subject to Spanish law, which allowed torture.

In the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020, the lieutenant-general’s legacy was further called into question, and Cardiff Council voted to remove a marble statue of him from its Hall of Heroes at City Hall.

In Tuesday’s statement, Amgueddfa Cymru (National Museum Wales) said the decision to remove the painting after more than 100 years was part of an agenda dubbed Reframing Picton. The museum was advised by a youth-led initiative involving the Sub-Sahara Advisory Panel (SSAP) and members of Amgueddfa Cymru.

“As we aim to build a Wales that is inclusive, built on the foundations of equality and one which focuses on community cohesion and appreciative of the different cultures that exist in our country,” Director of SSAP Fadhili Maghiya said in a statement.

Amgueddfa Cymru’s director of collections, Kath Davies, told the BBC that she wanted the SSAP to decide on the future of its painting, adding that two artists with Trinidadian roots had been commissioned to re-interpret the portrait. It will go on show in August, on Trinidad’s Independence Day.

Despite Picton’s blemished history, a number of Britons have registered their displeasure at the museum move. “I'm sorry, but who gave the Sub-Sahara Advisory Panel control over which parts of our history we're allowed?” asked Robert Poll from Save Our Statues on Twitter, adding that the Welsh museum’s role was “shameful and spineless.”

Others concurred, with one noting that they thought they were supposed to learn from history. “How can that be if history is expunged?” they asked. Others noted that Picton gave his life for his country. “Removing his portrait bring shame on Wales,” they noted, directing their message at Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries and asking, “are you happy with putting our history into storage?”

Prominent BBC News presenter Huw Edwards said he felt “uneasy” about the portrait’s removal, labelling it as “censoring.” “Should not Picton remain on display as a reminder to Wales of an aspect of its past - no matter how disgraceful?” the Welsh journalist asked.

The museum’s social media team were working overtime on Wednesday, responding to angered Britons and informing them the portrait will go on display again in the future, as noted in the original statement. Responding to Edwards, the museum stated that “the redisplay will include more about Picton's history - the good and the bad.”

Despite the explanation, many remain confused as to the role of the two commission artists of Trinidadian descent and what “re-framing” the portrait will mean.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×