London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Top anti-Google investigator quits European Commission

Top anti-Google investigator quits European Commission

Nicholas Banasevic, who led the charge against Google, will join the law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
EU competition czar Margrethe Vestager is losing another of her most experienced commanders in the campaign against Google to a large law firm, just as she is escalating her battle against Big Tech.

Longtime official Nicholas Banasevic, who spearheaded the European Commission's antitrust probes against Google, will join the law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. The date of the move is still to be confirmed.

Banasevic is far from being the first high-profile name to jump ship this year. His move follows the departure of two other top competition officials with long experience in fighting Silicon Valley giants — Cecilio Madero Villarejo and Carles Esteva Mosso — who also are joining law firms that act for the very same companies. Madero was the chief of antitrust within the Commission's competition department when Vestager launched her crusade against Google.

Banasevic has "decided to leave DG Competition and the Commission to join private practice," Olivier Guersent, director general of the European Commission's competition department, informed his staff on Monday morning. "Nick has been key to the success of a number of the landmark cases that have made the reputation of excellence of DG Competition," Guersent wrote in an email seen by POLITICO.

Regulatory news outlet MLex first reported the move on Monday.

Banasevic, a British national, has worked at DG Competition for more than 20 years. Since 2012, he has headed the unit that brought three Google investigations that hit the search giant with more than €8 billion in fines. On November 10, the EU General Court will rule on Google's challenge of the first of those cases, which saw the company fined €2.42 billion over its shopping comparison service.

While the Commission has successfully concluded these cases with fines against the search giant, complainants in the cases grumble that Brussels' action has been less effective at reining in Google's dominance of the market.

The announcement of Banasevic's departure comes right after a five-day court hearing in Luxembourg over the Commission's €4.3 billion Android case against Google. At the court, the case team was represented not by Banasevic, but by his long-time deputy Brice Allibert.

Since May 16, Banasevic has also temporarily been in charge of the overarching Information, Communication and Media directorate following the promotion of Guillaume Loriot.

Christian Riis-Madsen, the EU chair of Gibson Dunn's antitrust and competition practice, welcomed his new recruit in a statement.

“We have admired Nick’s achievements and dedication to the Commission over a long career and we are excited to welcome him to Gibson Dunn in the near future,” Riis Madsen said.

The departure of a third top competition official from the Commission in less than a year triggered concerns about revolving doors.

A Commission spokesperson said Banasevic was "granted an authorization" for the move "with the appropriate restrictions imposed." The aim of the procedure "is to prevent any risk of a real, potential or perceived conflict with the Commission’s legitimate interest," the spokesperson added.

Gibson Dunn frequently represents Apple in U.S. lawsuits, including in its recent antitrust battle with game developer Epic. Vestager in April issued a charge sheet against Apple following a complaint from Apple Music rival Spotify. This and another investigation into Apple's app store rules were not handled directly by Banasevic's unit, but by two units that reported to him in his capacity as acting director.

Earlier this year, Madero and Esteva Mosso joined law firms specialized in antitrust after working for years as deputy director-general at DG COMP.

Madero, who was involved in high-profile battles such as those against Microsoft and Google — hand in hand with Banasevic — joined law firm Clifford Chance less than a year after he left his position at the Commission. The announcement came in May, a few weeks after the news that Esteva Mosso would leave his job as a deputy director general in charge of state aid to join law firm Latham and Watkins. The two announcements in rapid succession fueled concerns and debate over former top competition officials joining law firms.

Clifford Chance does work for Amazon, while Latham and Watkins does work for Facebook — two companies that are also involved in pending EU antitrust investigations.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×