London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Tim Westwood: BBC launches inquiry into response to claims against DJ

Tim Westwood: BBC launches inquiry into response to claims against DJ

An independent inquiry led by a barrister is to be launched by the BBC into what it knew about the conduct of former Radio 1 DJ Tim Westwood.

The corporation previously acknowledged six complaints about bullying and sexual misconduct, which the DJ denies.

Independent director Sir Nicholas Serota said new allegations continue to emerge.

He said there may have been times when the corporation should have done more to investigate the complaints.

The independent inquiry is expected to last six months and the BBC wants to include Westwood's other employers, MTV and Global - owner of Capital Xtra, which the DJ joined after leaving the BBC.

Led by Gemma White QC, who previously investigated bullying in the House of Commons, it will also examine whether concerns about Westwood's behaviour were a factor in his departure from the BBC in 2013.

The BBC said it would pass any relevant information to the Metropolitan Police.

On Thursday, the Met said it was investigating a man over four alleged sexual offences in 1982, 1985, 2010 and 2016.

After receiving the results of an internal review, Sir Nicholas said: "New allegations and issues are emerging as time passes and more people are prepared to come forward. For this reason the work must continue."

He added: "In light of the BBC's internal review, I believe that there may have been occasions in the past when the BBC should have further explored issues that were being raised."

Director general Tim Davie initially said in April the BBC had "no evidence of complaints" about Westwood - a presenter for 19 years on Radio 1 and Radio 1Xtra - after BBC News and the Guardian revealed allegations of predatory sexual behaviour.

But after BBC News challenged the corporation's response to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request made in November 2021, it later acknowledged the six complaints - one of which was serious enough to have been referred to the police.

The BBC said the director general's initial response had set out the position as he understood it at the time, and ahead of the internal report Mr Davie said he wanted to "ensure everything is flushed out" and "any cases are looked at".

"Limitations within current BBC systems" which did not cover all archived information meant the allegations were not revealed at first, the internal review found.

The review examined allegations reported after 2012, in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal, and found two claims of sexual misconduct and two complaints about Westwood's behaviour in the workplace.

Among these was an allegation that in 2007 Westwood made sexual remarks to a 15-year-old girl at a non-BBC event. The incident was referred to police, but in 2013 they said they would take no further action.

After BBC News and the Guardian published allegations by seven women in April, the BBC said it received further allegations, including a claim of sexual assault at a BBC event in the mid-2000s and two allegations of sexual assault from the mid-1980s before Westwood's time at the broadcaster.

Another woman described "a consensual sexual encounter" with Westwood in the mid-2000s which "she now considers to have been inappropriate".

The new independent inquiry would be the first the BBC has launched since 2021's investigation by Lord Dyson into the way Martin Bashir obtained his interview with Princess Diana in 1995.

Tim Westwood in 2007


Westwood, who hosted the UK's first nationally broadcast hip-hop show from 1994 until leaving the BBC in 2013, was accused by seven women of abusing his position in the music industry to exploit them in the April investigation by BBC News and the Guardian.

Some of the women worked in the industry and feared repercussions from challenging such a prominent figure over the incidents, which they said took place between 1992 and 2017.

Now 64, the DJ has strongly denied the allegations. In a statement in April, Westwood's spokesperson said there had never been any complaints against him of inappropriate behaviour as described in the women's claims, and no investigation by the police, his employer or "any other authority".

Following the initial revelations, a further 10 women came forward to BBC News and the Guardian with allegations of unexpected and unwanted sexual touching, sexual misconduct and - in one case - sex with a 14-year-old.

An 18th woman has also spoken to BBC News, alleging unexpected and unwanted sexual touching and sexual misconduct by Westwood when she believed she was meeting him to discuss work experience at Radio 1Xtra.

She alleges that Westwood instead drove her to a flat in west London, where he had sex with her. The DJ, who also presented the MTV show Pimp My Ride UK from 2005 to 2007, told her that the property was where he filmed for the show.

A spokesperson for MTV said the channel was not aware of any complaints having been made at the time of the show or since, but it was conducting an internal review for "further reassurance". "We take this very seriously," MTV said in a statement.

Westwood has been approached for comment.

The DJ joined Capital Xtra in 2013 after leaving the BBC, but stepped down from the show "until further notice" in April when the allegations against him were published.

The Guardian also reported that a former BBC employee had raised concerns about "bullying" by Tim Westwood in the early 2010s.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
UK Competition Watchdog Flags Concerns Over Proposed Getty Images–Shutterstock Merger
Trump Reasserts Opposition to UK Chagos Islands Proposal, Urges Stronger Strategic Alignment
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis advocates for a ban on minors using social media.
Liberal Senator Michaelia Cash Accuses Prime Minister of Lying to Australians
Meanwhile in Time Square, NYC One of the most famous landmarks
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
A Lunar New Year event in Taiwan briefly came to a halt after a temple official standing beside President Lai Ching‑te suddenly vomited, splashing Lai’s clothing
Jillian Michaels reveals Bill Gates’ $55 million investment in mRNA vaccines turned into over $1 billion.
Ex-Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrested
×