London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Thursday, Aug 20, 2026

Silence 'not an option' for Buckingham Palace over Harry and Meghan

Silence 'not an option' for Buckingham Palace over Harry and Meghan

Analysis: royal expert says issues of mental health and alleged racism and alleged bullying can’t be ignored
As Buckingham Palace, no doubt still reeling from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s allegations on mental health and racism, considers its response, history should have taught that silence is not an option, said one royal expert.

More than 24 hours after the Oprah Winfrey interview was broadcast in the US, senior royal aides had still not broken cover amid calls for an investigation into the couple’s claims.

The palace’s reaction will be a seen as a test of whether lessons were learned from the mishandling of the crisis after the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

“The palace in the past had been very loath to come up with a knee-jerk reaction; very often they thought ‘don’t talk about it and it will go away’,” said Joe Little, managing editor of Majesty magazine.

“But clearly, when you are talking about mental health, alleged racism and alleged bullying, you can’t dismiss them. There are some things you can leave to one side, but these are not issues that can possibly be ignored, and a response does need to be made, just to make people aware it is being taken seriously.”

The Queen’s perceived silence in the days immediately after Diana’s death led to a furious backlash against the monarchy, with accusations of heartlessness.

While Tony Blair paid public tribute to the “people’s princess”, and flowers carpeted the entrance to Kensington Palace, there was just one short statement from the palace. Issued just hours after the Paris crash, it shared the Queen and Prince Philip’s “deep distress” at the “terrible news” and said other members of the royal family were being informed of the death.

Newspaper headlines screamed: “Show us you care”. But, it was not until the eve of Diana’s funeral that the palace sprang into action, with a highly personalised television address by the Queen.

Back then, it demonstrated the danger of silence, of leaving a vacuum to be filled by a narrative even more damaging to the institution.

“After Diana’s death, there was a huge backlash; some really sensational headlines followed between Diana’s death and funeral. That stirred people up. The people read these things and they regard the royal family as heartless,” said Little.

“Of course, we now know that the Queen, with the best of intentions, was keeping the boys [William and Harry] at Balmoral to protect them. But that was one of the rare mistakes of the Queen’s reign; not to react a bit more positively, not to be a bit more reactive to it.

“I think that won’t happen again. I think the palace will respond.”

The fact that allegations last week were made that Buckingham Palace failed to act over bullying claims against Meghan made in 2018 in relation to her alleged treatment of staff, leaves the institution in a difficult position if it does not respond. Only now has it announced a full investigation into those claims.

“It means the supposition is that so much will be just swept under the carpet and they will move on,” said Little.

“But I cannot think that will be the case this time.

“Quite how they follow this up is very hard to predict. I certainly don’t think they will strip Harry and Meghan of their titles. I think that would just be seen as spiteful. And it would be the wrong thing to do.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9 Percent as Energy Costs Threaten Economic Recovery
NHS Hospitals Cancel Surgeries as Extreme Heat Pushes Ward Temperatures Above 40 Degrees Celsius
UK Heatwave Forces Emergency Measures as Wildfire Risk, Hospital Disruption and Drought Intensify
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
UK Marks Ten Years of Night Tube as London Weekend Usage Exceeds Eighty-One Thousand Journeys a Night
Met Office Issues Thunderstorm Warnings Across Northern Ireland Over Flash-Flood Risk
Frasers Group Raises Stake in Hugo Boss to Nearly Forty-Eight Percent
Scottish Clyde Marine Pilots Prepare for Strike That Could Disrupt Glasgow and Greenock Shipping
Twenty Passengers Injured After Southern Train Derails Near Lewes in East Sussex
Government Rules Out High-Speed Rail Revival Between West Midlands and Northern England
West Midlands Bus Network Returns to Public Ownership in Twenty-Four Million Pound Deal
UK Competition Watchdog Targets Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Drip Pricing
Northern Ireland Health Minister Mike Nesbitt Resigns After Dispute Over Causeway Hospital Surgery Closure
UK Long-Term Government Bond Yields Rise to Five Point Eight Five Percent as Borrowing Costs Surge
UK Government Overhauls Planning Rules to Push Housing Development Near Major Transport Hubs
UK Health and Economic Pressures Highlight Wider Strain on Households and Public Finances
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Reaffirms Full Support for Ukraine Amid Russian Warnings
Sainsbury’s Suspends Live Facial Recognition at London Store After Customer Misidentified
Artists Urge UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham to Reject New North Sea Oil and Gas Licensing
UK Government Awards Four Hundred and Fifty-Six Million Pound Civil Service Training Contract to EY and KPMG
Global Government Bond Yields Rise as Middle East Conflict Fuels Inflation Concerns
British Housing Market Records Weakest August Since Two Thousand and Eighteen as Asking Prices Fall
UK Announces New Sanctions on Russian Shadow Fleet and Financial Institutions
UK Approves Virgin Rail Group Services Through Channel Tunnel, Challenging Eurostar
UK Government Backs Three Hundred Million Pound AI Investment Zone in North Lanarkshire
UK Declares National Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Imported Eggs
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
UK Government Rolls Out £5.8 Billion Regional Investment Programme to Revive High Streets
AstraZeneca Ends Late-Stage Lung Cancer Trial After Data Shows No Survival Benefit
London Stocks Fall for Sixth Day as Bond Yields and Middle East Tensions Weigh on Markets
UK Government Rewrites Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Near Transport Hubs
UK Wildfires Spread Across Southern England as Met Office Issues Severe Heat Warnings
British Doctors Warn Cancer Care Is at Risk as Hospitals Reject More Than a Quarter of Urgent Referrals
UK Hospitals Suspend Critical Care as Extreme Heat Exposes Infrastructure Failures
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
×