London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Royal family is 'very much not' racist, says Prince William

Royal family is 'very much not' racist, says Prince William

Duke of Cambridge defends monarchy after accusations from Harry and Meghan


The Duke of Cambridge has defended the monarchy against accusations of racism made by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, saying: “We’re very much not a racist family.”

Prince William said he had not yet spoken to his brother since Harry and Meghan launched their attack on the family and institution in an interview with Oprah Winfrey broadcast in the US on Sunday.

William’s statement is the first public personal comment by any member of the royal family since the allegations, and gives an insight into the hurt that members of the family are understood to feel over the matter.

The Queen’s aides issued a very brief official statement on her behalf on Tuesday.

William and the Duchess of Cambridge toured School 21 in Stratford, east London, on Thursday to mark the return of children to classes this week and the rollout to secondary schools of a mental health project that Kate launched in primary schools in 2018.

As William left, a reporter asked him: “Is the royal family a racist family, sir?”

The duke, with the duchess by his side, replied: “We’re very much not a racist family.”

Of Harry, he said: “I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will do.”

Meghan told Winfrey that when she was pregnant there were “concerns and conversations” about how dark their son Archie’s skin might be. The couple attributed the comments to an unnamed member of the royal family, said not to be the Queen or Philip. Harry said he felt “awkward” and “shocked”.

Meghan also suggested that Archie had been denied his birthright of the title of prince because he was mixed race. She described feeling suicidal and said she was denied help for her mental health when she sought it.

The Queen said in her statement she was “saddened” that her grandson and his wife had found life as working royals so challenging. She said the issues raised, “particularly that of race”, were “concerning”. “While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously,” the statement added. The matter would be addressed “by the family privately”.

The interview will have done nothing to heal the rift between the brothers. Meghan accused Kate of having made her cry during a row over flower girl dresses before her wedding in May 2018. Kate had apologised and sent flowers, Meghan added.

Prince Harry on his wedding day in 2018, with Prince William, right, by his side.


Meghan said she was disclosing this to correct erroneous reports that it was she who had made Kate cry. “I am not sharing that piece about Kate to be disparaging about her,” she said, adding that Kate was “a good person”.

However, any attack on his wife will surely have angered William. Harry described their relationship as “space” at the moment, so it is not surprising that he and William have not yet spoken since the broadcast.

It is rare for a senior royal to speak of such intensely private matters during a public engagement, as William has done. The brothers’ relationship has been in difficulties since William reportedly advised Harry that he should “slow down” and not rush into things with the ex-Suits actor.

According to Finding Freedom, an unauthorised biography of the Sussexes, Harry was angered by what he perceived as his brother’s “snobbish” attitude towards Meghan.

The ITN journalist Tom Bradby, a friend of the brothers, and who interviewed the Sussexes during their southern Africa tour, has previously written that the fallout began at the time of the wedding. “Really damaging things were said and done,” he wrote.

When asked about William by Winfrey, Harry said: “The relationship is space at the moment.” He added: “And time heals all things, hopefully.”

“I love William to bits, he’s my brother, we’ve been through hell together, we have a shared experience, but we were on different paths.”

The brothers are due to come together to unveil a statue they had commissioned of their mother on 1 July, what would have been her 60th birthday. Amid the fallout from the interview, that prospect now looks far from certain.

The royal family dispute was raised in the House of Commons on Thursday when the Conservative MP Sir David Amess asked if time could be found for a debate on the role of the monarchy.

“During such a debate, I’d very much hope that the argument could be made that it is never wise for a family dispute to be aired in public with everyone getting damaged and hurt by the fallout,” Amess said. He added that any debate could celebrate the Queen’s reign as monarch for 70 years.

The Commons leader, Jacob Rees-Mogg, responded by saying: “Were we to have a debate to praise our sovereign lady, it would take up all the legislative time available in this house.” He then recited the first two verses of the national anthem.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×