London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Regiment senior officers appointed

Former UK Royal Dragoon Guard Simon Watson has been appointed commanding officer for the Cayman Islands Regiment.

The Governor’s Office announced Watson’s appointment Wednesday, as well as the recruitment of six junior officers.

Premier Alden McLaughlin, speaking in the Legislative Assembly Thursday, stressed the importance of the development of a regiment, especially in light of Tuesday’s earthquake.

He assured that the regiment will be a pathway for Caymanians to get training and become officers.

“This is a Cayman Islands regiment, it is not some outpost of the British Army,” McLaughlin said in the Legislative Assembly.

It will be a “symbol of pride,” he said.

McLaughlin also addressed the creation of the regiment in the Governor’s Office statement, saying, “We are blessed to live in a country which is safe and has excellent infrastructure but recent history, including this week’s earthquake and the devastating hurricanes that impacted the region in 2017 and 2019, highlight the need to adapt and ensure that we are prepared and resilient to face any threat.”

Watson, the statement said, will be supported in his new role by Simon Spiers, who served in a range of senior roles, including in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Former Trinidad and Tobago judge Andre Mon Desir, who is also a former Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force officer, will serve as legal advisor to the new regiment. He was a senior legal advisor and staff judge advocate for the Defence Force.

The trio has more than 38 years combined of officer experience in the British Army and the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.

Governor Martyn Roper said he is pleased with the quick establishment of the regiment.
“Its primary focus will be disaster preparedness and it will be up and running by August this year. The events of this week underline the importance of developing a regiment in the Cayman Islands, which will provide resilience against disasters, not only at home, but also to help our fellow Overseas Territories when in need,” Roper said.


Officers head off for training

More than 70 people have applied to serve as officers for the new regiment.

The first six junior officers have been selected and are due to leave for Bermuda next month to attend three weeks of initial training with the Royal Bermuda Regiment. They will also attend officer training at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst later this year.

Five of the recruits are former members of the Cayman Islands Cadet Corps, with the sixth a Royal Cayman Islands Police Service officer.

The six will serve as full-time officers for a year before becoming reservists and reverting to their previous careers.

The announcement of the creation of the regiment was made late last year during the visit of then UK Minister of State for the Armed Forces Mark Lancaster.

Last month, the National Security Council authorised an initial force of seven officers and 50 reserve volunteers for the regiment.

Roper said he was pleased Watson and the other officers stepped forward and volunteered to serve the Cayman Islands.

“The junior officers will in turn receive some of the best military training available, which will help to develop their leadership potential. We will watch their progress with keen interest,” he added.

Officers will be equipped and provided with uniforms by the UK Government during their basic training in Bermuda.

The Governor’s Office said that, on their return, the officers will assist the senior officers to recruit the first 50 reservists, all of whom will receive basic training in Bermuda in July.

The new team will also be assisted by a Regimental Sergeant Major, who has 13 years of former experience as a non-commissioned officer in the British Army, including operational deployments, training and recruitment roles.

“Having a trained and disciplined force which can be mobilised quickly is vital and will enhance the other initiatives which we have recently introduced including the increased resilience of our air operations unit and the excellent work that (Hazard Management Cayman Islands) does to prepare and coordinate our response to disasters,” the premier said.

He also said he was happy the Cayman Islands Cadet Corps was being developed with the training they will receive, including at Sandhurst.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
×