London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Questions raised over secrecy around Queen’s overnight hospital stay

Questions raised over secrecy around Queen’s overnight hospital stay

Royal watchers say Buckingham Palace ‘could have handled it differently’ after the news was leaked to a newspaper
The Queen is undertaking “light duties” after a hospital visit for “preliminary investigations” as Buckingham Palace faced questions over its handling of news of her overnight admission.

The 95-year-old monarch is said be resting at Windsor Castle after undergoing tests at King Edward VII’s Hospital in central London, having been advised by doctors to rest for a few days and cancelled a two-day trip to Northern Ireland.

She returned to her Berkshire residence at lunchtime on Thursday, having been admitted on Wednesday afternoon. A source said she remained in “good spirits” and was “resting and undertaking light duties”.

Boris Johnson commented on the Queen’s condition during a visit to a vaccine centre in west London on Friday: “I think everybody sends Her Majesty our very, very best wishes. And certainly, we have from the government.

“But I’m given to understand that actually Her Majesty is characteristically back at her desk at Windsor as we speak. But we send her every possible good wish.”

This was the Queen’s first hospital admission since 2013, when she was treated at the same hospital for gastroenteritis.

But that Buckingham Palace confirmed the latest visit only once the Sun newspaper ran it as a front page exclusive has triggered debate over how the nation learned of it and raised questions over palace transparency.

“It could have been handled differently,” said Dickie Arbiter, a former press secretary to the Queen. “They could have made an announcement after she was back at Windsor Castle, saying, ‘The Queen has been to hospital for tests. She is now back at the castle. She is working. That is all we are saying. End of’.”

A proactive announcement, after she was safely back at Windsor, would also have avoided the circus of photographers setting up outside the hospital.

Buckingham Palace announced the Queen had “reluctantly accepted medical advice to rest for the next few days” just after 11am on Wednesday, stressing that she was in “good spirits” and “disappointed” at cancelling her Northern Ireland visit.

Media outlets faithfully reported this throughout Wednesday and Thursday. Meanwhile, staff, and any members of the public who may have seen the VIP admission, would be aware that such media reports were not giving the whole picture.

The BBC’s royal correspondent, Jonny Dymond, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme he suspected the palace did not intend to reveal details of her admission at all, but that they were forced into it by the Sun.

There was always a line to be drawn between the privacy individuals are entitled to on medical matters and the expectation the nation has of being informed about the health of its head of state, whom many hold in great affection, he said.

The BBC’s royal editor, Nicholas Witchell, told BBC Breakfast that the media had not “been given the complete picture” to relay to viewers and readers. We were now being told that she was resting, undertaking light duties and in good spirits, he said. “Well, we must hope that we can place reliance on what the palace is telling us.”

One of Buckingham Palace’s most-utilised responses has long been that it will not “provide a running commentary”. And no one would argue that the nature of the private tests the sovereign was undergoing should be disclosed. But in PR terms, the fact that she stayed overnight will have been known by several, and was always in danger of being leaked.

The result is a “no-win situation” for the palace, which had sought to avoid “wild speculation” over the Queen’s health but had been “caught on the hop by an unfortunate leak to the Sun”, said Arbiter.

Penny Junor, a royal author and commentator, said: “It doesn’t look good, but the palace may be trying to protect her privacy. There are 101 possible reasons why they did not want to announce it. But I suspect it was to prevent rampant speculation that she was unwell.

“She has been looking so radiant, so healthy and so robust in recent times that I can’t believe that there is anything seriously wrong with her. But she is 95 years old and she has been doing an awful lot.”

Palace sources stress the decision not to announce her admission was based on the fact that the Queen is entitled to medical privacy and that it was only going to be for a short stay for some preliminary investigations.

An overnight stay was “for practical reasons”, they said. Whether this was due to it being unreasonably late for her to be driven the one-hour journey back to Windsor, or that some tests could not be completed in time, has not been disclosed.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×