London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Prince Andrew returned from Falklands War 'a changed man', he says in deleted post

Prince Andrew returned from Falklands War 'a changed man', he says in deleted post

Prince Andrew returned from the Falklands War "a changed man", he said in a now deleted piece posted on his ex-wife's Instagram account.

The Duke of York recalled his time as a helicopter pilot in the conflict 40 years ago in three posts on Saturday.

His piece was initially signed off as HRH The Duke of York, before the reference to His Royal Highness was soon removed.

And only hours later all the posts were removed.

It is unclear why the 700-word account was taken down.

But Andrew gave up the right to use HRH in an official capacity in January when the Queen stripped her son of his honorary military roles as he faced a US civil action over sexual assault allegations, which he denied.

Virginia Giuffre sued Andrew for allegedly sexually assaulting her on three occasions when she was 17. The case later reached a multi-million pound settlement out of court.

In the first Instagram post, Sarah, Duchess of York wrote that she had asked Andrew for his reflections on the 40th anniversary of his sailing from Portsmouth to the Falklands.

Prince Andrew began: "As I sit here at my desk on this cold crisp spring morning thinking back to April 1982 I've tried to think what was going through my mind as we sailed out of Portsmouth lining the flight deck of HMS INVINCIBLE."

He concludes: "So whilst I think back to a day when a young man went to war, full of bravado, I returned a changed man.

"I put away childish things and false bravado and returned a man full in the knowledge of human frailty and suffering."

The 62-year-old said he was thinking about those experiencing conflict today.

A bad week made worse

Prince Andrew has found himself firmly back in the headlines this week, but presumably not in the way he'd hoped.

The Instagram posts, via the account of his ex-wife Sarah, Duchess of York, have just made a bad week worse.

It is unclear why Prince Andrew decided to record his reflections on his Falklands experience.

As a veteran he clearly has memories to share, but he isn't a working royal. He no longer has an official status within public life.

Nobody within the royal household speaks on his behalf and he has deleted all of his own social media accounts.

Crucially, he should no longer be using the HRH style alongside his name, as the Duchess of York initially did in the posts before swiftly removing it.

Whatever the intention, it all looked clumsy and ill-conceived.

Add to that Prince Andrew's role supporting his mother at Westminster Abbey last Tuesday during the Thanksgiving service for his father. He was at the event because it was deemed a "family occasion".

Prince Andrew escorted the Queen at a memorial service for Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey


These things are carefully choregraphed. There had been a clear timetable of arrival times, with the prince originally scheduled to enter Westminster Abbey alongside his daughters.

There was no mention of him escorting his mother - so something changed.

Coming up are the official celebrations to mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. Will Prince Andrew be involved in any of these events?

He may want to be. The rest of his family may have other ideas.

In the posts, Andrew also described being shot at: "I was flying and saw a chaff shell fired from one of our ships that passed not that far in front of us.

"For a moment it was on a steady bearing before it began to cross to our left.

"The terror that that was going to be that, just for a moment, has had a lasting and permanent effect on me."

Andrew spoke about how the war had affected him during his 2019 Newsnight interview in which he denied allegations of sexual assault.

Responding to a claim he went on a night out with Ms Guiffre, who claimed he was sweating heavily, Andrew said: "I didn't sweat at the time because I had suffered what I would describe as an overdose of adrenaline in the Falklands War when I was shot at and I simply... it was almost impossible for me to sweat."

Prince Andrew in 1983

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×