London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Number of Hongkongers bidding for BN(O) scheme falls more than 20 per cent

Number of Hongkongers bidding for BN(O) scheme falls more than 20 per cent

Some 24,000 Hongkongers applied for the new pathway to British citizenship from July to September, down from 30,600 between April and June.

The number of Hongkongers applying for a new pathway to British citizenship from July to September has dropped by 21.5 per cent compared with the previous quarter, with immigration consultants attributing the downward trend to “lifeboat” options offered by other Western countries.

About 24,000 applications for the British National (Overseas) visa scheme were received in the third quarter, down from 30,600 between April and June, according to official figures released by the British government on Thursday.

Of those applications, 87 per cent were filed from outside Britain, while the rest were made within the country.

Some 88,900 Hongkongers have applied for the visa scheme since its introduction on January 31, of which 76,176 have been approved.

An estimated 5.4 million people among Hong Kong’s population of 7.5 million are eligible for the scheme, which allows successful applicants and their dependants to live, work and study in the country for up to five years. They can then apply for citizenship after six years.

Britain launched the visa in response to Beijing’s imposition of a national security law on Hong Kong, which London said constituted a “clear and serious breach” of the 1984 Sino-British Joint Declaration that set conditions under which the city would return to Chinese rule.

In the aftermath of the 2019 anti-government protests, Beijing imposed the sweeping security legislation in June last year, banning acts of secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign powers.

Margaret Szeto, founder of migration consultation company Aura Global Limited, said the downward trend was expected following the introduction of “lifeboat” schemes by Canada and Australia in recent months.

“Many Hongkongers have switched their destinations for emigration as they prefer the climate and environment in Australia and Canada,” she said.

But Johnny Patterson, policy director of the London-based NGO Hong Kong Watch, said the small drop in application numbers in the third quarter was understandable as a large number of people had applied for the visa in June so they could move with their families in the summer.

A BN(O) passport, which grants Hongkongers a pathway to British citizenship.


In February, Canada unveiled its open work permit scheme for anyone from Hong Kong who has graduated with a postsecondary degree or diploma that is equivalent to Canadian qualifications in the past five years.

Unlike most other work-based schemes, the three-year permits do not require applicants to have Canadian employment lined up. The new scheme is set to run until 2023.

Last month, the Australian government amended its migration regulations to create a “safe haven” policy for Hongkongers, centred on those currently studying or working in Australia, enabling them to obtain residency in the country in as little as three years if they meet certain requirements.

Under this policy, two streams have opened up. Hong Kong and BN(O) passport holders who have been in Australia studying or working for the four years leading up to their application – and who meet health, character and security requirements – are eligible to apply for a so-called skilled independent visa.

Another stream offered by the Australian government is through a so-called permanent residence (skilled regional) visa, for those working or studying in a “designated regional area” outside major cities for the three years leading up to their application. Applicants for permanent residence (skilled regional) visas must also meet stipulated requirements.

Canberra later revealed that about 8,800 Hongkongers were now eligible for the permanent residency scheme set to open for applications on March 5.

Willis Fu Yiu-wai, senior immigration consultant for Goldmax Associates, said there would be more people gradually leaving Hong Kong.

“Some are planning to leave depending on their children’s studies and will take action before [their kids] enter primary school [or after primary school] graduation,” he said.

“However some plan for their children to avoid taking the DSE, so they will leave earlier,” Fu said, referring to the university entrance assessment, the Diploma of Secondary Education examinations.

Johnny Patterson said with more than 88,000 people moving in the first three quarters of this year, it was clear that the United Kingdom government’s estimates of over 100,000 leaving the city in the first year were set to be accurate, if not exceeded.

“Looking forward, it seems likely to me that the number of BNO applications will ebb and flow in response to events on the ground in Hong Kong, and depending on how widespread Beijing’s purge of civil society continues to be.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×