London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026

Meghan and Harry said 'you can't stop us' a year before leaving Royal Family

Meghan and Harry said 'you can't stop us' a year before leaving Royal Family

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry warned royal advisers ‘you can’t stop us from doing what we want’ a year before they quit the Royal family, it has been claimed.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are said to have ‘called the shots’ and given instructions to palace press officers about what information should be made public.

Meghan, 39, and Harry, 36, had a string of clashes with palace staff before their departure to the US, according to the Daily Telegraph.

‘There was a constant dialogue from the couple along the lines of “Why can’t we do this? You can’t stop us from doing what we want to do,”’ a source told the newspaper.

In their bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey, the Sussexes insisted they ‘did not have a plan’ prior to stepping down as senior royals.

Harry told the chat show veteran: ‘The Netflix and the Spotify (deals)… that was never part of the plan.

‘We didn’t have a plan. That was suggested by somebody else by the point of where my family literally cut me off financially, and I had to afford… afford security for us.’

But now it has been claimed the couple were in talks with a billion-dollar backed YouTube rival a year before they quit the Royal Family.



The couple insisted they did not have a plan before stepping down as senior royals


The Duke and Duchess are said to have meetings about potential projects with US streaming service Quibi – described as a ‘mobile-based Netflix’ – before their son, Archie, was born in May 2019.

Discussions are believed to have continued until after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex dropped their Megxit bombshell in January last year, according to the Telegraph.

The talks with the now defunct start-up firm are said to have sparked fears the couple could be accused of ‘cashing in’ on their status.

Harry is said to have rushed back from the so-called Sandringham summit with the Queen to meet Quibi executives in London.

The couple are said to have been talks with YouTube rival Quibi before son Archie was born in May 2019


The talks were ‘orchestrated by Meghan’s people in America’, a source told the Telegraph, adding: ‘It was a bit of a secret squirrel.’

A number of sources including Quibi founder Jeffrey Katzenberg and chief executive, Meg Whitman, are said to have confirmed the discussions took place.

The Sussexes were seen as critical to getting the project off the ground ahead of its launch in April 2020.

But six months later, in September, it was on the verge of collapse – with Katzenberg blaming its failure on the coronavirus pandemic.

Around the same time, Harry and Meghan revealed their $112million deal with Netflix.

They later announced a deal to make podcasts for Spotify – although a trailer for their offering was branded a ‘woke word salad’.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Health and Economic Pressures Highlight Wider Strain on Households and Public Finances
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Reaffirms Full Support for Ukraine Amid Russian Warnings
Sainsbury’s Suspends Live Facial Recognition at London Store After Customer Misidentified
Artists Urge UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham to Reject New North Sea Oil and Gas Licensing
UK Government Awards Four Hundred and Fifty-Six Million Pound Civil Service Training Contract to EY and KPMG
Global Government Bond Yields Rise as Middle East Conflict Fuels Inflation Concerns
British Housing Market Records Weakest August Since Two Thousand and Eighteen as Asking Prices Fall
UK Announces New Sanctions on Russian Shadow Fleet and Financial Institutions
UK Approves Virgin Rail Group Services Through Channel Tunnel, Challenging Eurostar
UK Government Backs Three Hundred Million Pound AI Investment Zone in North Lanarkshire
UK Declares National Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Imported Eggs
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
UK Government Rolls Out £5.8 Billion Regional Investment Programme to Revive High Streets
AstraZeneca Ends Late-Stage Lung Cancer Trial After Data Shows No Survival Benefit
London Stocks Fall for Sixth Day as Bond Yields and Middle East Tensions Weigh on Markets
UK Government Rewrites Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Near Transport Hubs
UK Wildfires Spread Across Southern England as Met Office Issues Severe Heat Warnings
British Doctors Warn Cancer Care Is at Risk as Hospitals Reject More Than a Quarter of Urgent Referrals
UK Hospitals Suspend Critical Care as Extreme Heat Exposes Infrastructure Failures
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
×