London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 jabs ‘won’t be supplied to Hong Kong this year’

Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 jabs ‘won’t be supplied to Hong Kong this year’

Top public health experts such as Professor Gabriel Leung, dean of the University of Hong Kong’s faculty of medicine, believe the government also needs to come up with more incentives to overcome residents’ ‘vaccine hesitancy’.

US drug giant Johnson & Johnson, whose Covid-19 vaccine has been touted by some local health experts as a promising replacement for the AstraZeneca jab, has no plans to supply Hong Kong this year, the Post has learned.

While officials are pinning their hopes on second-generation jabs to counter new coronavirus variants, top public health experts such as Professor Gabriel Leung, dean of the University of Hong Kong’s faculty of medicine, believe the government also needs to come up with more incentives to overcome residents’ “vaccine hesitancy” and rescue a lacklustre inoculation drive.

Incentives could include loosened regulations for vaccine recipients to visit relatives in care homes and hospitals, he said.

“If the government believes in the efficacy of the vaccines, then there should be differences in the level of restrictions for individuals between those who have received the vaccine and those who have not,” Leung said. “This is based on science, not quid pro quo.”

Hong Kong’s next move is being watched with keen interest after the government dramatically pulled out of a key part of its agreement with AstraZeneca this week and asked the embattled British-Swedish firm not to deliver the first batch of 7.5 million Covid-19 vaccine shots in the second half of this year as planned.

The move followed findings by the European Medicines Agency of a “very rare” link between blood clots and the vaccine, which AstraZeneca co-developed with the University of Oxford. Local health experts had also expressed concerns that while the vaccine offered 70 per cent protection against the non-mutated coronavirus, it was only 10 per cent effective for a new South African variant.

The government said it was now looking for second-generation vaccines that could better handle new variants, but experts such as respiratory medicine specialist Professor David Hui Shu-cheong and pharmacist William Chui Chun-ming urged the authorities to eye other worthy first-generation candidates like Johnson & Johnson’s, which is made by its unit Janssen Pharmaceuticals.

Professor Gabriel Leung.


However, a source familiar with the situation told the Post the strategy did not hold much promise as the American producer’s capacity was “limited” because it had already made commitments for bulk purchases by the United States, as well as the World Health Organization-led Covax Facility, a global programme aimed at ensuring poorer countries receive fair and equitable access to Covid-19 vaccines.

“Since Hong Kong has already secured more than an adequate supply of vaccines for the whole population, Janssen does not expect to supply to Hong Kong until next year at the earliest,” the source said.

The Post has contacted Johnson & Johnson for a response.

Chui, president of the Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Hong Kong, acknowledged the company was likely to seek the nod from the WHO before supplying Hong Kong, but he said the city could improve its chances by selling or donating some of its excess stock of Sinovac or BioNTech shots to other nations.

Chui said he was in favour of the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine because it had reported a 64 per cent efficacy rate against the more contagious South African variant.

Hopes of securing the vaccine were dealt another blow after the company was forced to slash its supply across the US by 86 per cent for next week, after about 15 million doses at a Baltimore factory were found to be contaminated last month.

Epidemiologist Leung, who advises the government on its anti-pandemic strategies, said that of the first-generation vaccines he would recommend one by another American company, Novavax, to be given consideration “in particular”. Those jabs produced high antibody responses of 89.7 per cent in preventing mild to severe infections, he said.

They were also made using different technology to the AstraZeneca ones, as well as the Sinovac and BioNTech versions, which the government had already bought and inoculated residents with.


But he stressed the city should be “proactively looking out for” second-generation jabs that had incorporated new variant strains of concern or even possibly multivalent vaccines, similar to some flu jabs that could immunise against more than one strain of the virus. Those could be ready early next year, taking a shorter time to develop than the first-generation prototypes, which were invented in an extraordinarily short time of just one year.

Asked if the government’s announcement on pausing the AstraZeneca order in favour of newer versions of vaccines would increase the public’s vaccine hesitancy, Leung said Hongkongers should protect themselves by getting immunised by those available first, and get a booster a year later with the new ones, like how flu jab recipients renewed their shots every year.

“It’s like buying futures, you can get a booster shot later,” Leung said.

As of Saturday, 559,800 people, or 7.4 per cent of Hong Kong’s 7.5 million population, received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine. Of those, 231,500, or 3 per cent of the population, had also taken their second jab. Experts previously said it would take vaccination coverage of about 70 per cent to achieve herd immunity for Hong Kong.

Leung believed the authorities could revive the sluggish start of the inoculation drive by offering more incentives for vaccinated individuals, saying the situation was like giving access to premises only to people wearing masks, or requiring yellow fever jabs before travelling to tropical areas in Africa.

“It’s a bit like universal coverage of a host of vaccines such as pertussis [or whooping cough] jabs for children before they can go to school,” he said. “We should get more jabs into people’s arms.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×