London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin loses legal fight to take part in NASA moon landings

Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin loses legal fight to take part in NASA moon landings

The judge's ruling poses a potential end to Jeff Bezos's bid to take part in NASA's Artemis programme, which aimed to take the first woman and the next man to the lunar surface by 2024.

A judge has dismissed Jeff Bezos's private spaceflight company Blue Origin's lawsuit against NASA over the awarding of a moon-landing contract to SpaceX.

In a single-page ruling, which Blue Origin has until 18 November to redact before it is released in full, the US Court of Federal Claims granted the government's wish to have the lawsuit dismissed.

It poses a potential end to Jeff Bezos's bid to take part in NASA's Artemis programme, which aimed to take the first woman and the next man to the lunar surface by 2024 - although that date is in question.

NASA's moon landings are still scheduled for 2024


Blue Origin filed a lawsuit against the US government and SpaceX after Elon Musk's company - which has completed numerous orbital missions, while Blue Origin has completed none - was awarded $2.9bn to land humans on the moon.

It is the second appeal Mr Bezos has seen thrown out, although he has continued to pursue other avenues for involvement - initially offering to waive billions of dollars in payments from NASA in the case the contract to SpaceX was withdrawn and given to Blue Origin.

Waiving the costs of the mission was a calculated move, as a potential funding shortfall is already threatening to derail the Human Landing System part of the Artemis programme.

NASA's inspector general has also warned that the agency also "faces significant challenges" in producing two flight-ready spacesuits by November 2024.

The research and development for these suits, known as xEMUs (Exploration Extravehicular Mobility Units), will have racked up more than a billion dollars in costs by the time NASA actually returns to the moon.

"Given these anticipated delays in spacesuit development, a lunar landing in late 2024 as NASA currently plans is not feasible. The suits would not be ready for flight until April 2025 at the earliest," the inspector general warned.

Elon Musk's company SpaceX won the NASA contract


Responding to the ruling on Twitter, Mr Bezos said: "Not the decision we wanted, but we respect the court's judgment, and wish full success for NASA and SpaceX on the contract."

Earlier this year, Bill Nelson, NASA administrator, confirmed that the goal remained 2024, but complained that Blue Origin's protest against the initial awarding of the contract had held up mission progress for 100 days while it was considered and ultimately thrown out.

"There are a lot of blockades that have been put in front of us," said Mr Nelson, explaining that even if Blue Origin's new appeal to the Federal Court of Claims was also thrown out - as it now has been - Mr Bezos's company could then escalate things to the United States Court of Appeals.

A spokesperson for Blue Origin told Sky News: "Blue Origin remains deeply committed to the success of the Artemis programme, and we have a broad base of activity on multiple contracts with NASA to achieve the United States' goal to return to the Moon to stay.

"We are fully engaged with NASA to mature sustainable lander designs, conduct a wide variety of technology risk reductions, and provide Commercial Lunar Payload Services.

"We are also under contract with NASA to develop in-situ resource utilisation technology, lunar space robotics, and lunar landing sensor collaboration including testing on New Shepard.

"We look forward to hearing from NASA on next steps in the HLS procurement process," they added.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×