London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Huawei launches legal challenge against US over security threat designation

Huawei launches legal challenge against US over security threat designation

Despite the legal challenge the company's founder Ren Zhengei said he did not expect restrictions on the company to be lifted.
Huawei has filed a legal challenge against the US Federal Communications Commission which designated the company as a threat to US national security.

The telecommunications company was one of two Chinese businesses, alongside ZTE, that received the formal designation last June, which prohibited American companies from spending federal subsidies on their equipment.

In a petition filed on Monday, Huawei argued that the FCC order exceeded "statutory authority; violates federal law and the Constitution; is arbitrary, capricious, and an abuse of discretion".

It follows the FCC finalising rules in December which will require American mobile network operators using Huawei or ZTE equipment to remove and replace it, with Congress approving a $1.9bn (£1.3bn) reimbursement fund to support the effort.

The equipment vendors are the two largest targets of the American drive to expunge Chinese companies from the US telecommunications sector, with the FCC having now initiated the process to revoke China Telecom's authorisation to operate in the country.

At the time of the designation, Ajit Pai, chairman of the FCC, repeated claims that Huawei and ZTE had close ties to the Chinese Communist Party and China's military and posed a risk to America.

Mr Pai stressed that both companies were subject to China's National Intelligence Law of 2017 which could oblige them "to co-operate with the country's intelligence services".

"We cannot and will not allow the Chinese Communist Party to exploit network vulnerabilities and compromise our critical communications infrastructure," Mr Pai added.

China's National Intelligence Law has also been cited by the UK's National Cyber Security Centre as part of the reason for its wariness regarding the firm.

Huawei executive Ryan Ding responded that "the relevant provisions of China's National Intelligence Law do not appear to have extraterritorial effect over Chinese companies' overseas subsidiaries and employees, such as Huawei UK".

The company's founder and chief executive, Ren Zhengei, has said he would welcome a phone call from President Joe Biden but doesn't expect American policy towards the company to change in the short term.

"I think it's very unlikely that the US will remove us from the Entity List. I won't say it's impossible, but it's extremely unlikely," Mr Ren said.

The US move to place Huawei on the Entity List effectively banned the company from using any American chips in its equipment, something which subsequently forced the UK to reassess its decision to permit the company to play a role in the 5G network.

In the face of much criticism over its perceived risk to national security, Huawei has consistently pointed out that there has never been any evidence suggesting its equipment is more faulty or suspicious than that of its competitors.

Matthew Brazil, a former US Army intelligence officer and diplomat who was based in China for eight years, and is the co-author of a US Naval Institute book on Chinese Communist Espionage, previously told Sky News: "The concerns about Huawei I think are well-founded because logically speaking it's almost impossible for people who study the Chinese Communist Party to imagine that Huawei is totally independent.

"Huawei does a lot of business for the Chinese government, Huawei has a powerful Communist Party committee inside it, and if you look at materials in Chinese from Huawei they are a lot more patriotic than materials that are in English.

"And so it's likely that Huawei is indeed doing work on behalf of the Chinese Communist intelligence services, however what we lack here is solid evidence that backs up that logical conclusion."

"It would be good if the US government and those who work with it could provide more solid evidence about Huawei's activities," Mr Brazil added.

Despite a long period of lobbying the US has never published any evidence that the company has facilitated the Chinese state's activities which challenge Western security, although such evidence has been published regarding the Chinese state's cyber espionage activities themselves.

A Huawei spokesperson said: "Distinguishing fact from opinion has never been more important.

"Too often assertions are made or opinions formed about Huawei without evidence and then presented as fact. This is wrong. All of Mr Brazil's opinions are wrong and, as he himself readily admits, lack 'solid evidence' to back them up."
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×