London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Harry and Meghan: Hagan Homes apologises over housing ads

Harry and Meghan: Hagan Homes apologises over housing ads

A house building firm that used images of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in a bid to sell new homes has apologised over its advertising campaign.

Hagan Homes, one of Northern Ireland's biggest property developers, said its houses "fit for part-time royalty' ads were meant to be "light-hearted".

It did not have the couple's permission and has been told to remove the ads.

The firm said it had not intended to cause any offence and it has offered to make a £10,000 donation to charity.

On Friday, the Belfast Telegraph reported that representatives of the duke and duchess were to take "action" over the advertising campaign.

The adverts, which appeared on Belfast billboards and on social media, featured photos of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex with worried expressions.

"Buying a new home can be rather stressful," one of the adverts stated.

It followed an announcement from the couple earlier in January in which they said they intended to "step back" from royal duties and become "financially independent".

It was also confirmed that they wish to repay the £2.4m of public funds spent on the refurbishment of their UK home, Frogmore Cottage.


'Role models'

In a statement on Saturday the founder and chairman of Hagan Homes, James Hagan, said the firm was in the process of removing all the adverts.

"We have been in contact with representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and taken action to remove the social media posts and billboard advertising," Mr Hagan said.

"The 'Hagan Homes Fit For Part-time Royalty' campaign was intended to reflect Northern Ireland's typically light-hearted approach to a challenging situation.

"Many young people struggle with the complexities of buying a new home and we were keen to emphasise that support is available in such circumstances."

He added: "It was not our intention to cause any offence and we sincerely apologise if any has been taken.

"We believe Harry and Meghan are strong role models for all young people who are trying to find their own path in life and in recognition of this Hagan Homes is keen to make a donation of £10,000 to a charity of Harry and Meghan's choice."


Advertising rules

A spokeswoman for Hagan Homes confirmed to BBC News NI that the firm received an email from the couple's representatives, requesting the adverts be taken down.

She said the email referred to rules from the Committees of Advertising Practice (CAP).

The rules makes specific mention of the Royal Family, saying its members "should not normally be shown or mentioned in a marketing communication without their prior permission".

Hagan Homes, based in Ballyclare, County Antrim, has already deleted its social media adverts and said its billboard adverts will be be "taken down by close of play" on Monday 27 January 2020.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×