London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong ‘will be lenient at first’ as new app mandate takes effect

Hong Kong ‘will be lenient at first’ as new app mandate takes effect

Civil service chief says officials enforcing the new rule – effective on Monday – will take into account fears that vulnerable groups could be disadvantaged, but residents also expected to be cooperative.

Officials will be lenient at first but residents should also be cooperative when Hong Kong’s Covid-19 contact-tracing app becomes mandatory on Monday for anyone entering government buildings and other facilities, the civil service chief has said.

The requirement to use the “Leave Home Safe” app for access to venues ranging from libraries and swimming pools to government offices and wet markets has raised concerns among organisations working with vulnerable groups such as the homeless, who often lack smartphones.

But Secretary for the Civil Service Patrick Nip Tak-kuen said on Sunday the administration was making every effort to take that reality into account.

“For those who do not have access to smartphones, they will be asked to leave their personal details. They will be asked to show their identity card and have their names, part of their ID number and contact details jotted down to ensure accuracy,” he told a radio show.

Sports facilities are among the venues that will require use of the contact-tracing app.


Exemptions for individuals younger than 12 or those aged 65 and above, as well as residents with disabilities who cannot use the app, have already been written into the new mandate.

“We understand there will be difficulties when it’s first implemented. Our colleagues, based on the actual circumstances, will be lenient at first, but we also hope everyone will be cooperative,” Nip said.

The number of QR code signs would also be increased outside markets to avoid long queues forming, he added.

For homeless residents without a phone, Nip suggested they leave a contact number to aid in reaching them. That could be the number of an organisation that had been helping them, he said.

Chua Hoi-wai, chief executive of the Hong Kong Council of Social Service, said he hoped the officers in charge of implementing the new rules would be as empathetic and lenient as possible in allowing residents to manually fill out paper forms in lieu of scanning with the app.

“We hope residents will not be too afraid or even avoid going to clinics or social welfare offices [because of the new rule],” he told reporters after appearing on the same radio programme.

Groups helping Hong Kong’s homeless population fear many without smartphones could have trouble accessing necessary services.


Chua said some organisations had already given out second-hand mobile phones with the app installed to low-income residents and taught them how to use them.

“We also hope the government will work with us to provide cheaper or second-hand phones to those who have the ability to use but merely cannot afford them,” he added.

The mandatory use of the contact-tracing app is seen as a necessary first step towards meeting Beijing’s concerns over pandemic controls with the aim of eventually reopening the border with mainland China, a deal local officials have yet to secure despite an improving vaccination rate and months with effectively no local coronavirus infections.


Authorities on Sunday confirmed one imported Covid-19 infection, an arrival from Britain.

Meanwhile, the Centre for Health Protection on Sunday said it was investigating a coronavirus case first detected overseas. The 18-year-old man, who received two doses of the BioNTech vaccine in July, tested positive on arrival in Singapore on October 24, according to the centre.

His place of residence in Hong Kong during the incubation period – Ching Tak House in Tsz Wan Shan’s Tsz Ching Estate – was issued a compulsory testing notice, and officials were following up the case with their Singaporean counterparts.

Separately, Nip revealed that some 36,000 civil servants would be assigned to help during the December 19 Legislative Council election, deviating from the previous government employee volunteer system.

“It is the civil servants’ responsibility to help with electoral matters,” he said. “With the new practice, we hope we can assign those who are more suitable to the job to help with [the logistics].”

He warned that anyone who was absent from duty without a legitimate reason that day would face disciplinary action, given it was a “mission” assigned to them.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×