London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong to offer home pickup, mobile vaccine vehicles for elderly

Hong Kong to offer home pickup, mobile vaccine vehicles for elderly

New services yet another attempt to boost take-up among a vulnerable demographic that has lagged behind other age groups in taking vaccine. City confirms six new Covid-19 cases, all imported.

Elderly Hong Kong residents seeking to get vaccinated for Covid-19 will soon only need to pick up the phone and a coach will drive them to an inoculation centre, a senior official has said.

Mobile vaccination vehicles will also begin visiting local housing estates next month as the government continues its attempts to boost vaccination rates among the elderly, a demographic that has remained stubbornly resistant to the jabs.

On Saturday, the city confirmed six new Covid-19 cases, all of which were imported. That included the 55-year-old Russian diplomat whose preliminary-positive test triggered an overnight lockdown on Friday at his residential building in Grand Promenade in Sai Wan Ho, where he was self-isolating as he was exempt from hotel quarantine.

The other five comprised three domestic helpers, from the Philippines and Indonesia, and two travellers from Britain.

The infections took the city’s total number of confirmed cases to 12,291, with 213 related deaths. Fewer than 10 people tested preliminary-positive.

Earlier, Secretary for Civil Service Patrick Nip Tak-kuen said the government would continue to press its community vaccination campaign, as the number of residents getting jabbed was dwindling.

“Recently, the average number of people receiving the first dose has only been about 3,000 a day. We foresee that figure continuing to drop,” he told a radio programme.

“So, we will continue to deepen our vaccination drive in the community … We will have a vaccination hotline offering a coach pickup service for the elderly to get jabbed in the inoculation centres.”


While Nip offered no specific timeline for the pickup service, he added that mobile vaccination vehicles would also be dispatched to local housing estates from next month to give residents jabs on the spot.

To date, more than 4.55 million of Hong Kong residents have received at least one dose of vaccine, equivalent to 67.7 per cent of those aged 12 or above.

A total of 127 elderly people and residents were vaccinated on Saturday through a government outreach programme in Tai O, a fishing village in Hong Kong’s Lantau Island.

The one-stop service administering the Sinovac shots also provided medical consultation, to allow people living in the rural area to get vaccinated.

However, the vaccination rate among the elderly remains low, with just 15.4 per cent of those aged 80 or above having received a dose, and 41.6 per cent of those between 70 and 79.

Last month, the government announced plans to launch a pilot programme at 10 elder care facilities that would see residents jabbed unless they or their families specifically opted out.

Secretary for the Civil Service Patrick Nip unveiled the new push to vaccinate Hong Kong’s elderly on Saturday.


As for potential vaccine booster shots going forward, Nip told listeners Hong Kong had enough doses for people to receive a third jab if necessary.

“We have purchased a total of 7.5 million doses each for both BioNTech and Sinovac, sufficient for people to receive the third dose. But the actual arrangement depends on the experts’ recommendations,” he said.

Professor Lau Yu-lung, who chairs the Centre for Health Protection’s scientific committee on vaccine preventable diseases, has backed an accelerated launch of third doses in the city after the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended giving them to people with weakened immune systems as well as elderly recipients of the Chinese-made Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines.

Lau and other experts will meet on Thursday to discuss the WHO recommendations.

Meanwhile, the government said compulsory testing at Tower One of Grand Promenade had been fully completed by 9am on Saturday.

As of 1am, about 830 residents were known to have undergone testing with no confirmed cases found.

However, two residents found not having undergone compulsory testing were issued fixed penalty summonses of HK$5,000 (US$643).

Speaking on another radio show, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Edward Yau Tang-wah said the government was continuing to push for a reopening of the border with mainland China.

Foreign chambers of commerce, meanwhile, among the loudest critics of local quarantine policy, understood that Hong Kong needed to keep its stringent rules in place to gradually resume international travel, Yau said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×