London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Hong Kong security chief calls fugitive ex-lawmaker ‘coward’ and ‘traitor’

Hong Kong security chief calls fugitive ex-lawmaker ‘coward’ and ‘traitor’

Secretary for Security Chris Tang describes Nathan Law as a ‘runaway anti-China and anti-Hong Kong element’ and also alleges former legislator breached the national security law.

Hong Kong’s security minister has branded fugitive ex-lawmaker Nathan Law Kwun-chung a “coward” and “traitor” after he urged voters to ignore the coming Legislative Council election.

In a strongly worded statement on Tuesday night, Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung described Law as a “runaway anti-China and anti-Hong Kong element” and accused him of “spreading political lies” about the city and the country.

He also alleged the former legislator had breached the national security law by making anti-China remarks. In response, Britain-based Law said such “intimidation” could not stop him from doing what he considered “legitimate”.

Nathan Law.


Tang called Law a “proxy” of the West for badmouthing the December 19 Legco election and making illegal calls for a boycott.

The security chief, who urged Hongkongers to go to the polls, said the government would spare no effort to bring Law to justice.

His statement was released days after Law urged Hong Kong people to “just ignore” the poll – the first for the legislature since Beijing overhauled the electoral system earlier this year, cutting the number of directly elected seats in an expanded Legco – during an interview at a conference in London.

In the interview, Law, who fled Hong Kong last year and was subsequently granted asylum by Britain, cast Chinese President Xi Jinping as an “emperor” who tolerated no dissent.

Democracy was dead in Hong Kong, Law said, but people still had spirit.

“Democracy, if you are talking about a system, it is definitely not there. But if you are talking about the spirit of the people, fighting for democracy, it is still there,” he said.

Under Hong Kong’s Elections (Corrupt and Illegal Conduct) Ordinance, it is an offence to incite others not to vote or cast invalid votes during an election period, whether the incitement is made at home or abroad.








Hong Kong authorities last month issued arrest warrants for fugitive ex-lawmaker Ted Hui Chi-fung and former district councillor Yau Man-chun, who took to social media to urge residents to boycott or cast blank votes as a way to protest against the election. Hui has settled in Australia while Yau is in Britain.

This week, constitutional affairs minister Erick Tsang Kwok-wai warned The Wall Street Journal after an editorial said boycotting the election or casting blank votes could be a way for Hongkongers to express their political views under Beijing’s control.

Tang, meanwhile, also accused Law of “repeatedly making anti-China remarks to provoke the public to hate the central government and the Hong Kong government”.

Statements by Law allegedly inciting others to split or overthrow the country were “shameful”, Tang wrote, warning they could breach the national security law.

Tang also called Law “shameless and despicable”, claiming he had fled Hong Kong after inciting other young people to break the law during the 2019 social unrest, but he was now enjoying the “fake nimbus crowned by his master” while others were in jail.

His statement preceded an expected appearance by Law at a democracy summit to be hosted by United States President Joe Biden later this week.

Tang said the US had plotted the summit, under the disguise of democracy, to encourage resistance against China. He said he felt extremely angry Law intended to spread slanderous remarks against the central and Hong Kong governments.

Law, former chairman of the now-disbanded pro-independence party Demosisto, fled the city ahead of the June 2020 enactment of the national security law, which bans acts of secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The law applies to people outside the city as well.

“Any form of restricting appeals to boycott the election or encourage others not to vote is utterly absurd,” he said in response to Tang’s statement.

“It is unimaginable why making such advocacy is illegal, given that people have the right to decide whether they want to vote or not. This intimidation cannot stop me from doing what I consider legitimate.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×