London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong Golf Open pushed to 2021 because of Covid-19

Hong Kong Golf Open pushed to 2021 because of Covid-19

Officials from sanctioning bodies and Hong Kong Golf Association say they are looking for a suitable date for the tournament after the new year.

Hong Kong Open organisers are determined to stage the 62nd edition of the city’s oldest professional sports event – but only after the new year.

The Covid-19 pandemic has forced sanctioning bodies to seek a week in 2021 to stage the tournament, which is backed by the European Tour, Asian Tour and Hong Kong Golf Association. The event was originally scheduled for the end of November this year.

Travel and quarantine restrictions make it difficult for players to travel in the region, with even the Asian Tour unlikely to stage their remaining events for this season.

“As with all tournaments, the safety and well-being of players, spectators and tournament personnel is our absolute priority,” said Ben Cowen, the European Tour’s deputy chief operating officer international.


“We thank the Hong Kong golf community for their continued understanding and support. A further announcement will be made in due course.”

Last year’s Hong Kong Open was postponed from its December date because of social unrest in Hong Kong but took place in January at the Hong Kong Golf Club in Fanling – without European Tour sanction – and was won for the second time by Australia’s Wade Ormsby.


The tournament still managed to attract some high-profile names in British Open champion Shane Lowry, of Ireland, and American Tony Finau.

The Asian Tour’s chief executive Cho Minn Thant said they would work with the European Tour and the HKGA to identify a suitable date after the new year.

“We are disappointed that the Hong Kong Open will now be postponed to a later date but we fully understand this decision made by the tournament committee, especially in these difficult global circumstances,” said Cho.


Ireland’s Shane Lowry came to Hong Kong as the reigning British Open champion.


“The health and safety of our players, staff and officials remain our highest priority. We will continue to work with all relevant parties and we hope to announce the return of the tournament when the situation has stabilised.”

The European Tour has three tournaments left on its 2020 calendar – the Cyprus Open (October 29 to November 1), the following week’s Cyprus Classic and The World Tour Championship in Dubai in December.

Cho said the Asian Tour would focus on the December to January window to restart their tournaments.


Tony Finau was a popular draw at the Hong Kong Open in Fanling.


“There is only a slim chance of play this year whilst there are ongoing restrictions and quarantines in the Asian region,” said Cho. “Not only does it make it challenging for competitors and officials to enter a host country but attaining the relevant permissions from local government authorities to hold international sports events or gatherings is still proving difficult.

“Not to mention the high potential of lack of hospitality and spectators which are important to sponsors. We are focusing on a December – January window to restart our tournaments and we have taken the decision to extend the current season until the end of 2021.”

He said the most likely scenario was playing a number of events at a single venue or country to reduce the need for travel.

“With the help of numerous promoters and other supportive parties, the Tour currently has several proposals in play with various governments around Asia and even some further abroad,” said Cho.

“We are working on a restart strategy for the Tour to ensure that we have the best chance of playing as many events as we can as soon as it is practically possible.

“We are committed to staging multiple events at one destination. Back to back events at the same destination will make travel more economical and efficient.

“It’s going to be a while before we will be able to travel freely as we once did, but I am optimistic about the chances of a few destinations being available for the Asian Tour to restart in a controlled manner.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×