London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Harry and Meghan to break silence in Oprah Winfrey interview

Harry and Meghan to break silence in Oprah Winfrey interview

Couple, who are expecting second child, to give first interview since quitting as senior royals

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will break their silence in their first interview since quitting their roles as senior royals when they sit down with Oprah Winfrey next month.

Prince Harry and Meghan, who revealed on Sunday they are expecting their second child, announced their plans to step back from the royal family on 8 January last year.

Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special, described as an “intimate conversation” by the US television network, will be aired on 7 March.

CBS said: “Winfrey will speak with Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, in a wide-ranging interview, covering everything from stepping into life as a royal, marriage, motherhood, philanthropic work to how she is handling life under intense public pressure. Later, the two are joined by Prince Harry as they speak about their move to the United States and their future hopes and dreams for their expanding family.”

Winfrey is a personal friend of Meghan and attended the royal wedding in May 2018, and there was speculation at the time the couple would be interviewed by her.

Oprah Winfrey arrives for the wedding ceremony of Harry and Meghan at Windsor Castle in May 2018.


It is not known if the Sussexes informed the royal household in the UK about their plans to be interviewed, but as non-working members of the monarchy they do not have to give notice of their media commitments. Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

The news follows their Valentine’s Day announcement that their one-year-old son, Archie will be getting a new baby brother or sister. The child will be born eighth in line to the throne and become the most senior royal in the current line of succession to be born overseas, with an automatic right to US citizenship.

Harry retained his place in the line of succession despite the couple’s decision to step back from royal life and live independently in the US. But his position, and those of his children, will continue to descend the line of succession as his niece and nephews, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, have children of their own.

Like Archie, the new baby Sussex will not be entitled at this stage to the style HRH – his or her royal highness – or the title prince or princess due to rules set out by George V. They are entitled to be a lord or a lady, but Harry and Meghan eschewed such a title for Archie, opting to style him plain master, with the surname Mountbatten-Windsor, and are likely to do the same for a future son, or use miss for a daughter.

The baby will be entitled to HRH and prince or princess status once the Prince of Wales – their grandfather – ascends to the throne, although it is thought unlikely that the Sussexes will opt for such a change, having forfeited their own HRH styling.

Misan Harriman, a friend of the couple, shot the black and white image released to mark their pregnancy announcement.


The photographer Misan Harriman, a friend of the couple who shot a black and white image released to mark the their pregnancy announcement, said he had captured it on an iPad remotely. The photograph shows the couple under a tree in Los Angeles, with a barefoot Harry resting his hand on Meghan’s face while she lies in his lap resting her hand on her baby bump.

Harriman, the first black male photographer to shoot a British Vogue cover– and the first to shoot its September issue – in its 105-year history, said it had been an “absolute joy” to be asked to help share the good news, especially following the loss and heartbreak the couple suffered last year when Meghan had a miscarriage.

Speculation that the duchess might be expecting a second child arose after she applied for and was granted a postponement of her privacy trial against the Mail on Sunday until the autumn for a “confidential” reason.

Any trial was averted when, on Thursday, the duchess won her high court privacy case against Associated Newspapers Ltd over the Mail on Sunday and Mail Online’s publication of extracts from a private handwritten letter she wrote to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, 76, after the judge, Lord Justice Warby, granted summary judgment in Meghan’s favour.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9 Percent as Energy Costs Threaten Economic Recovery
NHS Hospitals Cancel Surgeries as Extreme Heat Pushes Ward Temperatures Above 40 Degrees Celsius
UK Heatwave Forces Emergency Measures as Wildfire Risk, Hospital Disruption and Drought Intensify
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
UK Marks Ten Years of Night Tube as London Weekend Usage Exceeds Eighty-One Thousand Journeys a Night
Met Office Issues Thunderstorm Warnings Across Northern Ireland Over Flash-Flood Risk
Frasers Group Raises Stake in Hugo Boss to Nearly Forty-Eight Percent
Scottish Clyde Marine Pilots Prepare for Strike That Could Disrupt Glasgow and Greenock Shipping
×