London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 17, 2026

Harry And Meghan Permanently Quit British Royal Life

Harry And Meghan Permanently Quit British Royal Life

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family," Buckingham Palace announced.

Prince Harry and his American wife Meghan have permanently quit royal duties, Buckingham Palace said Friday, just over a year after they rocked the British monarchy by announcing plans to "step back" from their roles.

Queen Elizabeth II ordered the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as they are formally known, to relinquish their honorary titles and patronages following the confirmation that they would not be returning as working royals.

The couple relocated to the United States last year, in a move dubbed "Megxit" by the British press, and have since embarked on several commercial ventures there including lucrative tieups with the streaming platforms Netflix and Spotify.

At an emergency January 2020 summit with the queen, Harry's father Prince Charles and brother Prince William, Harry agreed they would stop using their "Royal Highness" titles and the "Sussex Royal" brand.

But the senior family members pledged to review the situation a year on -- with the move now made permanent, days after Harry and Meghan announced on Valentine's Day they are expecting their second child.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family," Buckingham Palace announced.

"The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service."

It noted their honorary appointments and patronages would be redistributed among the remaining working royals.

 'Service is universal'


However, it appears the pair will retain their official titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and Harry remains sixth in line to the throne, with no change in the line of succession.

"While all are saddened by their decision, the Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family," the palace statement added.

The decision means Harry, 36, who served as a soldier in Afghanistan and is passionate about veterans' welfare, must relinquish several honorary military titles related to the Royal Marines, air force and navy.

Earlier this month he formally settled a libel claim against the publisher of The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline website over reports he had snubbed soldiers since stepping back from royal life.

A spokesperson for the couple said Friday they had shown that they "remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world".

The statement noted they had offered their continued support to the organisations they had represented "regardless of official role".

"We can all live a life of service. Service is universal," it added.

 'Intimate' interview


The couple's move to the US followed reports Meghan was deeply unhappy with life inside the centuries-old royal institution and increasing complaints from the couple about media intrusion.

But its sudden nature jolted the monarchy and reportedly caused acrimony with Harry's brother William, who is second in line to the throne.

Harry and Meghan have launched several legal cases against UK news outlets alleging invasion of privacy, with one lawsuit ending this month with a victory against Associated Newspapers.

The couple are poised to give an "intimate" interview about their lives with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey.

 'Championed our work'


Aside from his military titles, Harry also held Commonwealth appointments and some other patronages, including with the Rugby Football Union (RFU) and Rugby Football League.

"The RFU has greatly valued his contribution to promoting and supporting the game," the organisation said on Twitter.

Harry will remain as patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, the organisation for disabled military veterans confirmed.

Meanwhile Meghan was also handed honorary roles after she wed Harry in a fairytale ceremony at Windsor Castle in May 2018, including becoming a patron of the National Theatre.

The acclaimed theatre group also thanked her for the support offered during her briefer than expected tenure and said the process of appointing a new patron had begun.

Jennie Bond, a former royal correspondent for the BBC, said the loss of titles would be a blow to the couple.

"This is going to upset Harry, obviously, particularly the military (losses)," she told the broadcaster.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
Bank of England Warns Rising Inflation Could Squeeze UK Household Incomes
UK Government Announces £65 Million Aid Package for Farmers Hit by Severe Drought
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Despite Energy Market Pressures
UK Issues Emergency Alert as Severe Wildfires Spread Across England and Wales
UK and Finland Discuss European Defence and Continued Support for Ukraine
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
UK Government Deploys Military to Help Fight Wildfires and Bans Disposable Barbecues
UK Records Hottest Day of the Year as Fifth Summer Heatwave Peaks in Southern England
UK Condemns Houthi Actions and Warns of Red Sea Threat to Global Trade
UK and Solomon Islands Open Wildlife Photography Exhibition in Honiara
UK Small Businesses Face Continued Cash Flow and Tax Pressures
Greatham Marsh Restoration Restores Tidal Wetland in Hartlepool After More Than 200 Years
UK Health Regulator Urges University Students to Check Meningitis and Measles Vaccination Status
Mining Remediation Authority Completes Major Ground Stabilization Works in Scottish Community
UK Food Crime Investigators Seize 33 Tonnes of Illegal Food in Multi-Agency Operation
Technical Qualification Uptake Hits Record High as Advanced Mathematics Results Improve
UK Summer Temperatures on Course to Challenge Long-Standing Records, Met Office Says
UK Farmers Bring Forward Cereal Harvests as Drought Threatens Yields
×