London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Harry and Meghan had police called to their home nine times in less than a year

Harry and Meghan had police called to their home nine times in less than a year

Police have been called to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s mansion in California nine times in as many months.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved in to their £11,000,000 home in Montecito – on the same estate as a number of celebrities – with their one-year-old son Archie in July last year.

Since then the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office confirmed it has responded to calls listed as phone requests, alarm activations and property crimes.

The data was obtained under Freedom of Information requests by the PA news agency after the couple shared fears over security in their bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Officers were called four times in July last year, just after the family moved there. One call is listed as a phone request, while the others are labelled ‘alarm activations’ and all occurred in the early hours of the morning.

One August request is listed as ‘misc priority incident’, while there was a further alarm in November.

Officers were also called to the property at 4.13pm on Christmas Eve, after a man was alleged to have trespassed.

Police then returned to the mansion on Boxing Day at 2.54pm for a call listed under ‘property crimes’.

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office confirmed it has responded to calls to their mansion listed as phone requests, alarm activations and property crimes


Nickolas Brooks, 37, was arrested on a misdemeanour trespassing charge and later released, the office said.

The most recent call was at 2.21am on February 16 this year, and is listed as an alarm activation.

Representatives for Harry and Meghan declined to comment, and a spokesperson for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office declined to provide further details about the calls.

The couple spoke about their security arrangements in their two-hour sit-down interview with chat show host Oprah in March.

The duchess, who is now pregnant with a daughter, said she sent letters pleading with Harry’s family not to take away his personal protection officers as he was facing death threats.

The duke said he never thought he would have his UK taxpayer-funded security removed upon deciding to step back from royal duties.

The couple shared fears over security in their bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey


He said: ‘Their justification is a change in status, of which I pushed back and said, “Well is there a change of threat or risk?”

‘And after many weeks of waiting, eventually, I got the confirmation that, no, the risk and threat hasn’t changed, but [it was] due to our change of status, which we would no longer be official working members of the Royal Family.

‘I was born into this position. I inherited the risk. So that was a shock to me.’

It has been estimated that the couple’s security costs $5.5 million a year (£3.9 million).

Prince Harry told Oprah that the couple used the money Diana had left him and his brother – thought to be £21 million – to make their new life possible.

He said the couple started looking into deals with Spotify and Netflix due to being ‘financially cut off by the Royal Family’.

They signed a $100 million (£72 million) arrangement with Netflix and a $25 million (£18 million) deal with Spotify.

It has also been revealed in the last few weeks that Prince Harry has taken on two new jobs – one working with the Aspen Institute at their new Commission on Information Disorder, and another at a start-up coaching firm based in Silicon Valley.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
'They're people from all walks of life across the UK'
EU Digital ID Claims Misstate What Brussels Can Legally Force on Member States
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The End of the Old Order [Podcast]
Britain’s Democracy Is Now a Costume
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
Labour Is No Longer a National Party [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Lawyers vs Engineers: Why China Builds While America Litigates [Podcast]
Churchill’s Glass: The Drunk, the Doctor, and the Myth Britain Refuses to Sober Up From
Apple issues an unusual warning: this is how your iPhone can be hacked without you doing anything
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
The Met Gala Meets the Age of Billionaire Backlash
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Gunfire Disrupts White House Correspondents’ Dinner as Trump Is Evacuated
A Leak, a King, and a Fracturing Alliance
Inside the Gates Foundation Turmoil: Layoffs, Scrutiny, and the Cost of Reputational Risk
UK Biobank Breach Exposes Health Data of 500,000, Listed for Sale on Chinese Platform
KPMG Cuts Around 10% of US Audit Partners After Failed Exit Push
French Police Probe Suspected Weather-Data Tampering After Unusual Polymarket Bets on Paris Temperatures
CATL Unveils Revolutionary EV Battery Tech: 1000 km Range and 7-Minute Charging Ahead of Beijing Auto Show
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
Power Dynamics: Apple’s Leadership Shakeup, Geopolitical Risks in the Strait of Hormuz, and Europe's Energy Strategy Amidst Global Challenges
Apple's Leadership Transition: Can New CEO John Ternus Navigate AI Challenges and Geopolitical Pressures?
Italy’s €100K Tax Gambit: Europe’s Soft Power Tax Haven
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Privacy Problems in Microsoft Windows OS
News roundup
Péter András Magyar and the Strategic Reset of Hungary
Hungary After the Landslide — A Strategic Reset in Europe
Meghan Markle Plans Exclusive Women-Focused Retreat During Australia Visit
Starmer and Trump Hold Strategic Talks on Securing Strait of Hormuz Amid Rising Tensions
Unofficial Australia Visit by Prince Harry and Meghan Expected to Stir Tensions with Royal Circles
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
UK Stocks Rise on Ceasefire Momentum and Renewed Focus on Diplomacy
UK to Hold Further Strategic Talks on Strait of Hormuz Security
Starmer Voices Frustration as Global Tensions Drive Up UK Energy Costs
UK Students Voice Concern Over Proposal for Automatic Military Draft Registration
Rising Volatility Drives Uncertainty in UK Fuel and Petrol Prices
UK Moves to Deploy ‘Skyhammer’ Anti-Drone System to Strengthen Airspace Defense
New Analysis Explores UK Budget Mechanics in ‘Behind the Blue’ Feature
Man Arrested After Four Die in Channel Crossing Tragedy
UK Tightens Immigration Framework with New Sponsor Rules and Fee Increases
UK Foreign Secretary Highlights Impact of Intensified Strikes in Lebanon
UK Urges Inclusion of Lebanon in US-Iran Ceasefire Framework
×