London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Government refuses to reveal how many times contact tracing turned off on Covid app

Government refuses to reveal how many times contact tracing turned off on Covid app

DHSC admits it has data but is blocking release, prompting speculation that figure is embarrassing
Sajid Javid’s health department has refused to reveal how many people have turned off contact tracing on the Covid app.

The government admitted it knew the number, but refused to publish it – prompting speculation ministers were embarrassed their test-and-trace system was not as “world-beating” as promised.

Some people – including Tory MPs – have reported either deleting the app or permanently turning off contact tracing, amid fears a “pingdemic” is forcing people into isolation unnecessarily.

More than 2.1m alerts telling people to self-isolate were sent during July in England alone, leading to disruption of services including public transport, bin collections and food supplies.

After initially resisting calls to change the app to decrease its sensitivity, the health secretary said the technology would be tweaked so that only people who came into contact with a positive Covid case two days before would be pinged, instead of five.

But confidence in the app already appeared to have faltered, with the number of new downloads in a week falling. According to a Savanta ComRes poll from mid-July, 19% of UK adults said they had already deleted the app and 20% that they planned to delete it.

People can also keep the app but turn off contact tracing, rendering useless the Bluetooth technology that scans nearby devices to alert users if someone they came into close contact with later tests positive.

When asked in a freedom of information request by the Guardian how many people had permanently turned off contact tracing, the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) admitted it did hold the relevant data. But it said the information was being “withheld” under an exemption, known as “section 22”, allowing it to publish the figure at an unspecified date.

The DHSC said it had assessed “as objectively as possible” whether it was in the public interest to release the information and that while doing so would lead to “greater transparency in government”, it had decided to block the release for now to ensure it was “made available to everyone at the same time”. It declined to give any timescale of when that would happen.

Justin Madders, a shadow health minister, said it was “typical of this government to withhold information when it’s not in their interests”. He asked: “What do they have to hide? Either the NHS app is working or their chaos, confusion and mixed messages around the app have driven people to delete it in their droves. If it’s the latter, ministers must own up to their failures and set out how they plan to get contact tracing back under control.”

Layla Moran, a Liberal Democrat MP and chair of the all-party parliamentary group on coronavirus, said it was “disappointing to see the government attempting to conceal the shortcomings of its apparent failing test-and-trace programme”.

She added: “The government must publish all data held relating to test and trace to allow for greater transparency and public scrutiny. If test and trace is still truly world beating, what have they got to hide?”

The government recently said it had no figure for the number of people who have deleted the Covid-19 app. Health minister Jo Churchill said: “We are considering what further metrics we may be able to publish about app usage.”

It comes after Downing Street said Boris Johnson has the app installed on his phone and has not been told to isolate, after an aide he flew with on a plane tested positive.

No 10 insisted the prime minister was not a “close contact” of the senior official, who the Guardian revealed was forced to isolate halfway through a trip to Scotland last week while other members of the contingent continued the tour.

Speculation had mounted over whether he may have been sent an alert in the following days given that government guidance says close contacts count as those who “travelled in the same vehicle or plane as a person who has tested positive for Covid-19”.

“The prime minister was not deemed to be a close contact following advice from public health bodies in the normal way,” Johnson’s spokesperson said on Monday.

At least six Downing Street staff are said to be isolating, with Johnson having spent the weekend at his country residence Chequers but due to return to Westminster this week.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×