London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Ghislaine Maxwell trial: Defence calls for retrial after juror says he was a 'victim of sexual abuse'

Ghislaine Maxwell trial: Defence calls for retrial after juror says he was a 'victim of sexual abuse'

The socialite's lawyers say the juror "told reporters that he disclosed to the other members of the jury during deliberations that he was a victim of sexual abuse and further described his memory of those events".

Ghislaine Maxwell's defence has called for a retrial after one of the jurors who convicted her told media outlets he was a victim of sexual abuse.

Her lawyers have written to Judge Alison Nathan saying the issue "presents incontrovertible grounds for a new trial".

Christian Everdell, from Cohen and Gresser LLP, added: "The juror told reporters that he disclosed to the other members of the jury during deliberations that he was a victim of sexual abuse and further described his memory of those events.

"According to the juror, his disclosure influenced the deliberations and convinced other members of the jury to convict Ms Maxwell."

Maxwell was found guilty last week of recruiting underage girls to be sexually abused by Jeffrey Epstein.

Since then, she has been told she faces two additional counts of perjury at a second trial.

But Mr Everdell wrote: "Should the defence prevail on this motion - and we believe the law and facts are clearly on our side - it would render all other post-trial motions moot."

Maxwell depicted as the guilty verdict was read out


Prosecutors urge New York court to investigate juror


The United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York has also written to Judge Nathan, saying the "government believes the court should conduct an inquiry".

But the defence, in a further letter, said the "government's request for a hearing is premature because based on undisputed, publicly available information, the court can and should order a new trial without any evidentiary hearing".

It added: "Ms Maxwell intends to request a new trial under Rule 33 because the 'interest of justice so requires'.

"Any submission will include all known undisputed remarks of the juror, including recorded statements, the relevant questionnaire, and other non-controverted facts.

"It is clear to Ms Maxwell that based on this record alone a new trial is required."

Judge Nathan has replied, setting a schedule for the defence to "move for a new trial in light of the issues raised".

The defence motion has been set for 19 January, while the government's response will be on 2 February. The defence will reply on 9 February.

Judge Nathan said the court "reserves decision on whether an inquiry of any kind is warranted".

Maxwell being led away following the guilty verdict


The juror, using his first and middle names, Scotty David, gave interviews saying he "flew through" the prospective juror questionnaire and does not recall being asked whether he had been a victim of sexual abuse.

Had he been asked, he "would have answered honestly", he added.

Sky News understands that the questionnaire did contain an enquiry on that subject.

The Department of Justice letter notes that while jurors were "free to discuss their jury service with anyone of their choosing", some of Scotty David's statements "merit attention by the court".

If continues: "The government proposes that the court schedule a hearing in approximately one month, along with an appropriate schedule for pre-hearing briefing regarding the applicable law and the scope of the hearing."

Jury selection a key part of US justice system


Sky News correspondent Joe Pike, in New York, said Scotty David's involvement raises a potential conflict of interest.

The jury selection process in the US is sometimes seen as having the power to decide the outcome of trials.

In the Maxwell case, there were two stages. First, about 500 potential jurors were asked to fill in the questionnaire.

The document included a question asking jurors whether their families or friends had experienced sexual harassment, abuse, or assault.

Once potential members had been whittled down, the judge interviewed them individually.

Maxwell's lawyers say there are 'incontrovertible grounds for a new trial'.


The victims 'were all believable'


Scotty David, who is 35 and lives in Manhattan, told The Independent the guilty verdict was "for all the victims".

He added: "For those who testified, for those who came forward, and for those who haven't come forward. I'm glad Maxwell has been held accountable.

"This verdict shows that you can be found guilty no matter your status."

He said he believed all four victims who testified during the three-week trial, despite Maxwell's lawyers attempting to discredit their memory of what happened.

"They were all believable. Nothing they said felt to me like a lie," he said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×