London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Fury as 500 in Privy Council axed from ceremony held when Charles becomes king

Fury as 500 in Privy Council axed from ceremony held when Charles becomes king

Richard Tilbrook - who acts as clerk to the Monarch's advisory body - has revealed that only 200 counsellors from the 700-strong department will be allowed to attend the Accession Council meeting

A decision to axe 500 members of the Privy Council from a ceremonial meeting held when Prince Charles ascends to the throne has sparked fury among Her Majesty's advisors.

Richard Tilbrook - who acts as clerk to the Monarch's advisory body - has revealed that just 200 counsellors from the 700-strong department will be allowed to attend the Accession Council meeting.

The trimmed down guest will only include priority members like Cabinet Minister, former Prime Ministers, senior judges and the Archbishops of Canterbury and York, according to the Mail on Sunday.

For the 500 members not lucky enough to qualify for an automatic ticket, they will need to submit their names into a ballot if they want to attend.

The historic ceremony, which has happened for centuries, takes place in St James's Palace after a monarch's death and as a new king or queen succeeds their predecessor.

The 700-strong Privy Council acts as an advisory body to the UK monarch - and has done so for centuries


Traditionally, all members of the council - who are allowed to use the "Right Honourable" title - would attend the ceremonial meeting.

The decision was revealed in a letter from Mr Tilbrook, who said ceremony's guest list had to be slashed to just 200 due to "strong safety and operational reasons".

The letter added: "if we are to deliver the first high-profile event of the King's reign to the high presentational and safety standards required of the occasion".

Outraged critics claim the number of counsellors attending has been chopped down so TV cameras can record the ceremony for the first time ever.

One senior Privy Counsellor told the Mail on Sunday : 'It is utterly wrong to ban the great majority of Privy Counsellors from what is the most important meeting they will ever attend. Frankly, the whole thing is undignified.'

Downing Street has already agreed to the slimmed down guest list, Mr Tilbrook said.

And Number 10 sources add that responses so far from members of the council had been "sympathetic" and "largely accepting".

A Government spokesman added: "It would be inappropriate to comment on the planning arrangements for such a highly sensitive event."

Prince Charles also has plans to trim down the monarchy itself once he takes the throne.

An expert last month said the reduction of working royals could serve as a warning after recent high profile scandals.

The Firm has, of course, already undergone some major structural changes in the past few years.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have decided their future is not in the UK, while Prince Andrew is not expected to ever return to public life.

But the enforced alterations don't begin to scratch the surface of what's ahead, some believe.

Charles has long been prepping for the new era and he has Palace "hangers-on" firmly in his eye-line.

It has long been said that the 73-year-old plans a major shake-up of the when he becomes head of state - and it could also affect royal residences.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×