London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Executive considering 'new interventions' on Covid

The executive is actively considering "additional planned interventions" to deal with the spread of Covid-19, the health minister has said.

Robin Swann said he did not "want a return to a long-term or indefinite lockdown".

Meanwhile public health experts in the Republic of Ireland have recommended the highest level of restrictions be applied to the entire country.

It is expected politicians will meet the chief medical officer on Monday.

A further 462 cases of Covid-19 were announced by the Department of Health on Sunday.

One person has died in the past 24 hours after testing positive.

There are 65 people in hospital after testing positive for the virus, of whom nine are in intensive care.

In the Republic of Ireland, 364 new Covid-19 cases were recorded on Sunday, with no new deaths reported.

Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill said "any notion of a circuit breaker only works if it's across the Island of Ireland".

'Reduce contacts'


The executive's Chief Scientific Advisor, Prof Ian Young, said "other levers are likely to be needed" in addition to NI-wide restrictions on household gatherings.

In a statement issued on Sunday evening, he said the hospitality sector was the "second most important" for interventions "to reduce adult contacts".

He said contacts in this sector "tend to be closer and longer" than in many other settings, while alcohol consumption "will also be a factor in failure to comply with social distancing".

Prof Young added there had been a "number of identified clusters associated with the hospitality sector", however, minister will have to weigh up measures "while also seeking to mitigate adverse consequences for society and the economy".

Earlier, Stormont Finance Minister Conor Murphy told BBC's Sunday Politics that "all options" would be discussed when the executive meet on Monday.

Meanwhile, a 46-year-old woman has been charged with breaching coronavirus regulations in Strabane.

The woman is the first person in Northern Ireland to be charged under the new legislation.

She is due appear at Londonderry Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Mr Murphy said he was "concerned" about the rising cases, adding "as are all of the executive".

"The primary focus of the executive is to protect life and whatever steps have to be taken we will take them," he said.

"We have to take a balanced view and one which we are sure the population will come along with us."

Robin Swann said NI's hospitals were "already under growing pressure and this will intensify in the coming weeks given the extent of the new cases".

"Concrete action has been taken by the executive on a number of fronts and I will not hesitate to recommend further restrictions," he continued.

"Saving lives and protecting our health service must come first."

The health minister also urged people not to "look for loopholes or grey areas in the regulations".

New restrictions for the Derry City and Strabane Council area were announced by the Stormont executive on Thursday in an effort to stem spiralling infection numbers.

They include hospitality businesses being limited to takeaway, delivery and outdoor dining, and a call to avoid unnecessary travel.

'Brace ourselves'


Speaking about the rise in cases across NI, Dr Gerry Waldron of the Public Health Agency said a circuit-breaker lockdown was "almost inevitable".

A circuit breaker is a short, sharp period of tightened restrictions for everyone to curb the spread of coronavirus.

"It's not a place we expected to be at this time of the year, at the beginning of October, we thought, if anything, we might be seeing that maybe middle of October," he told Radio Ulster's Sunday with Steven Rainey show.

"We are absolutely insisting that people follow the advice of maintaining a social distance from other individuals, as far as possible, of two metres.

"We'll just have to brace ourselves and see how things pan out over the next few days and the next week."

He stressed the need to stick to the basics - keep a social distance, wear a face mask and keep washing your hands.



Speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr show, Boris Johnson urged people to behave "fearlessly but with common sense" in their approach to the coronavirus.

The prime minister warned of a "bumpy ride" until Christmas and beyond, saying the winter could be "very tough" for everyone.

He added there had to be a balance between saving lives and protecting the economy.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×