London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 24, 2026

‘Stop going to Bali,’ pleads Australian official, as destinations push domestic tourism

The coronavirus is keeping Chinese tourists and other international arrivals away from holiday hotspots. From Australia to the Philippines, nations plan to promote wonders closer to home to help plug the economic gap

On March 2, Perth-based newspaper The West Australian published an interview with regional tourism minister Paul Papalia in which he urged holidaymakers to explore the wonders of his state rather than venturing further afield. It was an attempt to save the Western Australian tourism industry, which is suffering from an absence of Chinese arrivals amid the coronavirus outbreak.

“Right now, the easiest thing we can do, the biggest thing we can do, is to get Western Australians to stop going to Bali,” Papalia told the paper. According to Tourism Western Australia statistics, in the year ending on September 2019, the state welcomed a record 987,700 international visitors. China was only the fifth-largest source market, accounting for 72,400 arrivals, but its citizens outspent all other nations, dropping A$347 million (US$230 million).

However, those numbers pale in comparison with domestic tourism data. In 2019, Western Australia’s almost 9 million intrastate visitors spent A$4.5 billion, averaging A$129 per person, per day. Papalia must be hoping that by convincing some of the 415,000 West Australians who visited Bali last year to holiday at home, the economic impact of the coronavirus – which has wreaked havoc on the tourism industry globally – will be minimised. And he is not alone in trying to drive domestic tourism.

Travel industry news website TTG Asia reported on March 6 that the Philippines had allocated US$8.2 million for a domestic travel campaign, while Malaysian citizens will be offered incentives including digital vouchers worth 100 ringgit (US$24) to use on domestic flights, trains and hotels, and personal income tax relief of up to 1,000 ringgit on expenditure related to domestic tourism. In Indonesia, more than 443 billion rupiah (US$31 million) will be granted as incentives to domestic tourists, according to The Jakarta Post.

First, though, tourists must overcome one particular side effect of the epidemic, so-called travel anxiety, or a fear that going anywhere will increase their chance of exposure to someone who has been infected (as well it might, but within reason). “Concerned traveller” Christina Pasco told American broadcaster CBS Los Angeles that she had changed her upcoming travel plans for that very reason. “I don’t really want to be exposed to the airport and people that I don’t know, I don’t know their hygiene, I don’t know where they’ve been,” she said. “The risk is too great.”

However, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. On March 6, Bloomberg reported that reservations for domestic flights and hotels in the Middle Kingdom were recovering as confidence the coronavirus could be contained rose. Citing a statement released by online travel company Tongcheng-Elong, the report stated that hotel bookings for the last week of February were up 40 per cent on the previous week while daily bookings for domestic flights had surged 230 per cent from the indeterminate “lowest level” in February.

Of course, the upturn might also have something to do with the fact that airlines have implemented special offers, also known as “cabbage prices”, on domestic routes. Spring Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines and Chengdu Airlines were among the carriers advertising fares for as little as 29 yuan (US$4). Whatever keeps the economic cogs turning, eh?

According to OAG Aviation Worldwide data, Chinese airlines recently returned almost 3 million seats into scheduled service, most of them on domestic routes, following the 75 per cent drop in daily passenger traffic seen between January 25 and February 24, compared with the same period last year.

As for Hongkongers, the city’s diminutive footprint means there isn’t a whole lot of choice when it comes to novel domestic delights, especially as many attractions remain closed. There are, however, countless restaurants, bars, hotels and other businesses that need patrons to help keep them afloat, and country parks and beaches to fill the lungs with fresh(ish) air.


Songkran celebrations cancelled across Thailand

Thailand’s New Year celebrations are normally a raucous affair, a three-day national holiday soaked through with water fights. But, as the Bangkok Post reported on March 6, “there will be no water splashing during Songkran” this year, at least in Khon Kaen – which sees one of the nation’s biggest bashes, attracting tens of thousands of revellers every year – Pattaya and Bang Saen, where festivities have been cancelled because of the coronavirus.

Songkran celebrations are not the only casualty of the outbreak, with Koh Phangan’s infamous full-moon parties also suspended for the foreseeable future.

In Bangkok, the soggy ceremony is usually centred around Khao San Road, although the fate of this year’s event in the popular backpacker haunt remains uncertain. “The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and Tourism Authority of Thailand will soon make a decision on whether they should go ahead,” reported the Bangkok Post.


Thailand’s confusing quarantine announcements

After a series of confusing and contradictory statements from Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health over the course of several days, there is still no clarity as to whether Hongkongers arriving in the Land of Smiles will be forced to self-quarantine.

According to Cathay Pacific’s incredibly helpful “Notice regarding travel restrictions” webpage, “Passengers departing from Mainland China (including Hong Kong and Macao) […] may be subject to a 14-day quarantine upon entering Thailand”. Great, glad that’s cleared up, then.

A March 9 article in the Bangkok Post stated that the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand expected airlines to ask travellers from “high-risk” places – China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran and Italy – to provide a health certificate stating that they were free from infection. Anyone without such documentation should be denied boarding.

A Facebook post from the Tourism Authority of Thailand on March 9 said that tourists arriving from the high-risk regions “will undergo 14 days quarantine”, adding that more details would follow.

“We advise all travellers to consider carefully whether they still want to pursue their journey,” the authority wrote.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×