London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

'Do not wreck this now': Van-Tam warns against giving up on Covid rules

'Do not wreck this now': Van-Tam warns against giving up on Covid rules

Adviser calls for continued adherence to lockdown, as age-based phase 2 of vaccine programme announced


Ministers and scientific advisers have urged the public not to give up on strict lockdown rules, amid worries that the very obvious success of the UK vaccination programme and the arrival of spring are causing people to take more risks.

“Do not wreck this, we are so close,” said Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer for England, after Downing Street confirmed plans for the second stage of the vaccination programme, due to offer at least a first dose to all adults by the summer.

Van-Tam said he had been “besieged with people writing in saying ‘I have had the vaccine and essentially can I start breaking the rules’.” The answer to that was no, he said, as the country was not yet “in the right place … it is too early to relax”.

The second stage of the vaccination programme will be based on age rather than occupation or clinical vulnerability, prompting a backlash from unions representing frontline workers, as well as patients’ groups.

Van-Tam said an age-based rollout would be quick and straightforward, and people should worry less about their place in the queue than “making sure that queue moves really fast”.

He and Matt Hancock, the health secretary, used a Downing Street press conference unveiling the vaccination plans to urge caution, even as official statistics indicated that the number of people in England contracting Covid had halved in the past fortnight.


Rates of hospital admissions and deaths were still “far too high”, Hancock said. Van-Tam called up what he termed “quite sobering” slides showing a rise in coronavirus cases in some parts of the country, including the Midlands and parts of the west coast of England.

“Although it is generally good news, I’m afraid it is better news in some places than it is in others and this is not a battle that we have won yet,” he said.

Van-Tam, who has gained a reputation during the pandemic as the government’s most effective and evocative communicator, said there were “some worry signs that people are relaxing, taking their foot off the brake at exactly the wrong time”, likening it to a football match in which one side had taken a 3-0 lead.

He said: “But how many times have you seen the other side take it 4-3? It is too early to relax. Just continue to maintain discipline and hang on. Just a few more months. Do not wreck this now, we are so close.”

Hancock and Van-Tam defended the next stage of the vaccine plan, unveiled by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) on Friday and endorsed by Downing Street. Phase 2 will begin with people aged 40-49, progressing to those aged 30-39, then everyone aged 18-29, with a target date for first doses by the end of July.

With public health experts saying it would be logistically difficult to target people by job, potentially slowing the rollout, Hancock said: “Our moral duty is saving lives first, and that’s what we’ve done.”

Van-Tam said professions with the highest Covid death rates included restaurant workers, food processing staff and cab drivers, who would need to be prioritised in any jobs-based rollout.

“You can see that is going to be very difficult because of the multiplicity of occupations that would need to be called forwards,” Van-Tam said. “And doing that is going to damage the pace of the vaccine rollout so much. And the big win, actually, is in speed.”

But the plans prompted fury from some unions, with the Police Federation of England and Wales calling it “an utter betrayal of police officers”. John Apter, the chair of the federation, said ministers had abdicated responsibility to “hide behind the science of the JCVI”.

Paul Whiteman, the general secretary of school leaders’ union NAHT, said the logistical difficulties of a job-based rollout was “not a good enough reason not to prioritise the needs of committed professionals”.

Mick Pimblett, the assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers Association, said that even on Friday morning he had been led to believe members would be prioritised, given their role in a closed, confined environment.

Blood Cancer UK said people living with the disease, who have been vaccinated but are hugely vulnerable, would be “devastated” that fellow household members had not been prioritised.

“The JCVI have made a bad decision that will needlessly put the lives of people with blood cancer at risk,” said Gemma Peters, the charity’s chief executive.

Sarah Woolnough, the chief executive of Asthma UK, said the decision to not prioritise all people with the condition – people with particularly severe asthma were included in phase 1 – would leave some feeling “anxious, angry and ignored by government”.

But Prof Wei Shen Lim, the Covid-19 chair for JCVI, said an occupation-based vaccine programme had never been tested before on a large scale in the UK, and there were difficulties associated with it, such as people’s occupations not necessarily being recorded in their health records.

He said: “The evidence is clear that the risk of hospitalisation and death increases with age. The vaccination programme is a huge success and continuing the age-based rollout will provide the greatest benefit in the shortest time, including to those in occupations at a higher risk of exposure.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×